Looking for a quick, healthy meal with 5 ingredients only? These tasty chicken lemon skewers are the answer!
Sometimes I’m in a rush and don’t even have time to think about lunch. Luckily this recipe always come to rescue me from hunger, and keeps me energy-filled for the rest of the day.
These light chicken lemon skewers are absolutely no-brainer and effortlessly simple to put together. To make them, all you need is 5 ingredients: chicken breast, lemon, thyme, garlic, Extravirgin olive oil.
Well, there is a 6th ingredient if I have to be honest with you. I love to pair these melt-in-your-mouth chicken bites with thick Greek yogurt simply as it is, lightly seasoned and with a drop of lemon juice. Trust me on this, it makes a wonderful addition to the dish.
Lunch and/or dinner don’t need to be complicated, especially on weekdays when we’re all tired of a long working day. These skewers are a fantastic dinner-saver, and you only have to marinate the meat for 10 mins then grill until crispy and golden. To make these chicken skewers, I’ve used a technique I saw in Japan while eating Yakitori traditional dishes. The meat was cut into thin strips rather than cubes. This method allows to grill the chicken in a fraction of the time and it prevents the meat from burning while fully cooking inside.
Easy, quick and absolutely delicious, these chicken lemon skewers are also naturally gluten-free and dairy-free. Oh, they are also a pretty healthy choice for barbecues, picnics and parties outdoor!
If you’re keeping an eye on your weight and enjoy eating healthy as I do, you’ll love this dish. Light, very low-fat and low-cal, pair these chicken skewers with a colorful and vitamin-packed salad for a fully balanced meal and you’re good to go!
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 2 lemons, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 3 tbsp Extravirgin Olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly dried thyme leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for 1 hour to keep from burning
- In a ziplock bag or a small container, add the chicken strips and the rest of the ingredients. Close the bag and massage the meat with your hands to cover entirely with the marinade. Refrigerate for 10 mins.
- Thread 1 chicken strip on each skewer towards end of the stick. Alternate chicken with lemon slices until each skewer is full.
- Heat a large grilling pan over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken skewers for about 6 min on each side, or until golden and no longer pink inside.
- For the yogurt dip: simply mix the ingredients together and season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.
- Serve alongside the lemon chicken skewers and a salad, for a healthy and balanced meal. Enjoy!