Traditional zucchini fritters are usually deep-fried to crispy perfection, but with this easy baked zucchini fritters recipe, you can enjoy them without feeling guilty at all. They’re super healthy and easy to make, and still have that lovely crisp texture!
I love fried zucchini fritters, but what I love more is their healthier counterpart *mainly because I can have more than 3 and don’t feel guilty about it*. This baked version is very easy to follow and a light spray of oil is all you need to get that golden crunchy crust we all love, and keeps the fritters soft and moist on the inside.
Vegetarian, dairy-free and gluten-free, low in fats and calories, these baked zucchini fritters are also super versatile – one of those recipes you can have for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack-time OR serve as finger food at your next party!
Making these delicious baked zucchini fritters is such a breeze, it takes just 20 mins start-to-finish, and you only need is 7 simple ingredients: zucchini, free-range eggs, whole wheat/plain/gluten-free flour, lemon zest, baking powder, spring onions and your favorite fresh aromatic herbs such as basil or mint leaves.
The recipe is easy-to-follow and totally stress-free. Start by grating the zucchini and sprinkle with a pinch of salt, it helps keep your fritters puffy. Put the grated zucchini in a clean kitchen cloth and make sure to squeeze out their excess liquid. It will help keep the fritters nice and crisp.
Then all you have to do is fold the zucchini in a bowl and mix together with the remaining ingredients.
Divide the mixture among a mini muffin tin sprayed with oil. I usually pour 1 full tablespoon in each mould and the batter is just enough to fill a whole 12-cup tin. Bake until golden & crisp, and get ready to devour them all up!
Serve these tasty baked zucchini fritters alongside some homemade mayo and a wedge of lemon for a healthy, crispy snack the whole family is sure to love.
I hope you guys will give these awesome zucchini fritters a try! So many of you asked for it on my Facebook page, so I’m sure these fritters will make you happy. Don’t forget to leave a comment below and let me know how you liked it! Even better, snap a picture, tag it #thepetitecook and share it on Instagram! I can’t wait to see all your delicious creations :).
- 2 medium zucchini /courgettes
- 2 eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
- a bunch of basil leaves, chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- ½ cup wholewheat/plain.gluten-free flour ( I used rice flour)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- spray oil
- Homemade mayo
- Lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F.
- Grate zucchini and sprinkle with a pinch of salt, then transfer in a clean kitchen cloth and make sure to squeeze out their excess liquid.
- In a large bowl mix together grated zucchini, lemon zest, eggs, basil leaves, spring onion and flour. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Fold in baking powder and quickly stir all together.
- Lightly spray with oil a mini muffin tin and pour 1 tbsp of the mixture in each mould.
- Bake for 10 mins, then turn the fritters on the other side and bake for a further 5 mins or until crispy and golden brown.
- Serve with lemon wedges and homemade mayo.