This awesomely vegetarian fresh and juicy Watermelon Feta Salad makes a great quick side to enjoy all summer long!
Nothing screams summer like watermelon. It is THE summer fruit, above anything else.
My family and friends would all confirm that I am indeed the biggest EVER watermelon fan. I could eat a whole watermelon by myself in less than 24h - which I actually did once. I ate SO much watermelon that I was sick for a whole week, and it was the only summer I didn't touch anymore watermelon.
Anyways, these days I'm eating once again loads of watermelon. So, to make things a tad more interesting than just plain delicious wedges, I created this Watermelon Feta Salad featuring the popular bright red fruit and the lesser known yellow version. For extra crunch and a bit of variation, I've also added cucumber and swapped mint leaves (which are usually added in the classic watermelon-feta combo) with basil leaves.All you need to make this refreshing Watermelon Feta Salad is 6 simple ingredients: yellow and red watermelon, cucumber, feta cheese, basil leaves and extra virgin olive oil. Best of all, this super easy salad is ready in less than 15 min, plus is awesomely vegetarian and gluten-free.Yellow watermelon is sweeter than its red-fleshed version, with a pleasant honeyish note, but just as juicy and thirst quenching. It's also loaded with vitamin A and vitamin C. Red watermelon on the other side, also contains a powerful antioxidant called lycopene, so by eating the two, you make the best of both.Crunchy, juicy and refreshing Watermelon and Feta Salad - Perfect to share at summer parties and BBQs, this quick vegetarian salad is also great on its own!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
Watermelon Feta Salad
- 1 large wedge of red watermelon
- 1 large wedge of yellow watermelon
- 1 medium cucumber
- 100 gr feta cheese crumbled
- handful of fresh basil leaves chopped
- a glug of extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Chop red and yellow watermelon into cubes.
- With the help of a spiralizer, spiralize the cucumber and discard the seeds. Alternatively, cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and finely chop into small cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix together watermelon, cucumber, crumbled feta and basil leaves. Season with a glug of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 hour before serving.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.