Strawberry-Lemon Gluten-free Baked Doughnuts
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
These Strawberry-Lemon Gluten-free Baked Doughnuts are the perfect treat to satisfy your dessert cravings without feeling guilty. Ready in less than 30 minutes and made with simple ingredients!
- 150 g rice flour
- 50 g cornflour
- 40 g almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 30 g freeze-dried strawberry finely chopped
- 100 g demerara sugar
- zest of 1 organic lemon
- 3 organic eggs
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 200 g Greek yogurt (or dairy-free yogurt)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 g powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk (or almond milk)
- 1 tsp freeze-dried strawberry powder (or beetroot powder)
- 2 tbsp freeze-dried strawberry finely chopped
- zest of 1 organic lemon
Preheat oven to 180°C and arrange a baking rack in the middle shelf.
In a large bowl, mix together the rice flour, cornflour, almond flour, baking powder and baking soda. Then, fold in the freeze-dried strawberry and set the bowl aside.
In another bowl, mix the sugar with the lemon zest, then whisk in one egg at the time. Finally, incorporate the extra-virgin olive oil, yogurt and vanilla extract, and whisk all the ingredients together.
Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ones and whisk until just combined.
Fill a piping bag with the doughnut batter. Fill a 12-cup mini doughnut pan evenly, piping the batter until reaching 2/3 of each mould. I went around each ring twice, using a large round tip.
Place the doughnut pan in the centre of the hot oven and allow to bake for 12-13 minutes, until the doughnuts are golden and spongy to the touch.
Remove the doughnut pan from the oven, allow to cool slightly, and gently pop the gluten-free baked doughnuts out of the pan.
In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the powdered sugar with the milk to make a thick white glaze. Transfer half of the glaze into another bowl. To make the bright magenta glaze, add in 1 teaspoon of powdered free-dried strawberries. and mix until combined.
Dip each doughnut topside down into the glaze, then turn them upright and place on a cooling rack to set.Whilst the glaze is still setting, top the magenta doughnuts with crushed freeze-dried strawberries, and the white doughnuts with lemon zest.
Store these gluten-free baked doughnuts into an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Make sure you use gluten-free cornflour (real cornflour is naturally gluten-free but it's always best to read the ingredients list). I use stone-ground whole-grain cornflour.
- Make sure you use gluten-free baking powder.
- Feel free to substitute almond flour with an equal amount of corn flour or rice flour
- Feel free to substitute freeze-dried strawberries with fresh strawberries. Chop them finely, pat them dry with kitchen paper and add them into the bowl with the dry ingredients right at the end.