Homemade Peri Peri Sauce
Make homemade peri peri sauce in less than 30 minutes and use it as a marinade for peri peri chicken, serve it as dip or to spice up roasted veggies!
- 1 red onion peeled and roughly chopped
- 70 gr African bird's eye chillies stems removed (you can also use Thai red chillies)
- 1/2 red bell pepper seeds and white parts removed and roughly chopped
- 1 ripe tomato halved
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp white or red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
Place all the ingredients into a food processor, and blitz until the mixture reaches a smooth but still chunky texture. If you want a creamy sauce, then blitz for a further 10 seconds, until creamy.
Transfer the sauce into a small pan and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Season with salt and pepper to taste, remove the sauce from the pan and allow to cool.
Transfer the peri peri sauce into an air-tight container and store in the fridge for up 1 week.
How to store in the freezer:
Store into individual freezer-friendly containers. It will keep well in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Calories: 80kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 111mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 703IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 1mg