The BEST Vegan Apple Crumble
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
The BEST ever vegan apple crumble is just as delicious as the classic version, but highly nutritious, naturally gluten-free and butter-free!
- 2 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 Honeycrisp apples peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries softened, chopped
- 1 tsp demerara sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted, roughly chopped (115 g)
- 1 cup almond flour (100 g)
- 2 tbsp rice flour optional
- 4 tbsp demerara sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp coconut butter melted
Preheat oven to 350 F/180 C.
In a large bowl, mix sliced apples, cranberries, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger powder. Distribute the mixture evenly in a 9-inch cake pan or cast iron skillet.
In a small bowl, mix together chopped hazelnuts, almond flour, rice flour, demerara sugar, cinnamon, salt and coconut butter. If the mixture looks too wet add in 1 tbsp of rice flour.
Distribute the topping mixture evenly all over the apple filling.
Bake for about 30-40 minutes, or until the apple filling is soft and the topping is crunchy and golden-brown. If the top browns too quickly, cover with foil and continue to bake.
Once ready, remove the apple crumble from the oven and allow to cool before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Originally published in December 2014, updated with new words in post, new photos and improved recipe.
Vegan apple crumble variations:
- You can choose any apple variety, as long as it has a firm and crisp texture, and a slightly tart flavour. I like to use a combination of Honeycrisp and Granny Smith apples
- You may use only hazelnuts or sub half the amount with almond flakes, pecan nuts, walnuts or pistachio.