The BEST Vegan Apple Crumble
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
This is definitely the BEST vegan apple crumble. A million times better than the classic version, and it's naturally gluten-free and dairy-free!
- 2 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 Honeycrisp apples peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries softened, chopped
- 1 tsp demerara sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 115 gr hazelnuts toasted and roughly chopped
- 120 gr almond flour
- 1 tbsp rice flour optional
- 4 tbsp demerara sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp coconut butter melted
Preheat oven to 350 F/180 C.
In a large bowl, mix sliced apples, cranberries, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger powder. Distribute the mixture evenly in a medium baking dish.
In the bowl previously used, mix together chopped hazelnuts, almond flour, rice flour, demerara sugar, cinnamon, salt and coconut butter. If the mixture looks too wet add in 1 tbsp of rice flour.
Distribute the topping mixture evenly all over the apple filling.
Place the apple crisp in the oven, and bake for about 30-40 minutes, or until the apple filling is soft and the topping is crunchy and golden-brown. If the top browns too quickly, cover with foil and continue to bake.
Once ready, remove the apple crumble from the oven and allow to cool before serving.
Originally published in December 2014, updated with new words in post, new photos and more helpful info.
Vegan apple crumble variations:
How to store it: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- You can choose any apple variety, as long as it has a firm and crisp texture, and a slightly tart flavour. I like to use a combination of Honeycrisp and Granny Smith apples
- You may use only hazelnuts or substitute half the amount with almond flakes, pecan nuts, walnuts or pistachio.