Crunchy on the outside and soft and chewy within, these coconut macaroons are impossible to resist and take just 20 minutes to make!
One of my favourite bakery sweet treats, coconut macaroons are incredibly easy to recreate at home.
I'm a total sucker for coconut, and anything edible you can do with it.
So, I've been hunting for the perfect macaroon recipe for a while now, and I'm so glad to have finally come up with just the right one.
Not too soft, not too sweet, these easy coconut macaroons have just the perfect balance.
After baking hundreds of macaroons, I'm quite sure this is THE ONE and ONLY recipe you need to make these coconut treats at home.
It's completely fool-proof, conveniently gluten-free and dairy-free, requires only one bowl and you only need few ingredients you probably have in your pantry already.
I mean, it doesn't get better than this!
Hard to believe, but to make these super simple coconut macaroons, you only need 4 simple ingredients:
- shredded dried coconut
- free-rang egg whites
- vanilla/almond extract
They’re great on their own, but even better with chocolate!
I drizzled some dark chocolate over the top, but you can also use white chocolate.
You can also dip just the bottoms instead. It's really up to you!
Different Ways To Make Coconut Macaroons
There are countless ways that you can twist up this easy coconut macaroons recipe to meet your own taste.
Add more coconut for lighter macaroons, or add extra crunchiness by folding in the batter some chopped nuts or dried fruit ( or even chocolate chips!).
Can You Make Macarons In Advance?
Yes, absolutely! You can bake them in advance, making party planning a total breeze.
Bake them in advance, and store them in an airtight container or freeze-friendly container.
They keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days, and in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Before serving, just pop them back in the oven for a couple of minutes and drizzle over some melted chocolate right after you take them out from the oven.
Your guests will absolutely fall for these easy coconut macaroons. They go down so easily you'll wonder how your big batch of macaroons disappeared in 5 mins!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
Easy Coconut Macaroons
- 240 g unsweetened shredded dry coconut
- 4 free-range egg whites
- 120 g granulated sugar, white or fine demerara
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- a pinch of salt
- 100 g dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 325°F/160°C. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl beat the egg whites with the sugar, almond extract and a pinch of salt. Gently incorporate coconut and give a good mix.
- With the help of an ice cream scoop or a spoon, scoop out the mixture and place on the lined baking tray.
- Bake the coconut macaroons for about 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely on the baking tray before enjoying.
- If you like, drizzle with optional melted chocolate and allow to set before serving.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
*Recipe published in MArch 2016 and updated with more useful info.