Crispy on the outside and super smooth on the inside, pan-roasted Italian new potatoes are LOADED with simple authentic flavours. Paired with grilled chicken and a salad make a fantastic wholesome family meal in just 30 minutes.
These crispy Italian pan-roasted new potatoes are sure to become one of your favourite dishes. They’re rich and loaded with seasonal Italian flavours and no butter required.
Pair them with grilled chicken and a big salad and you’ve got yourself a nutritious, balanced and awesome meal ready in a blink. And it also happens to be gluten-free and dairy-free!
**This post is sponsored by Branston, supplier of Italian New potatoes to Tesco. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Petite Cook!**
As a proud Italian, I’m totally addicted to roasted Italian new potatoes —without a doubt one of the most popular Italian recipes, loaded with classic flavours such as rosemary, oregano, garlic, and extra-virgin olive oil.
This traditional dish has always been a family favourite. Growing up, my mum would often make these pan-roasted potatoes served alongside grilled fish or chicken.
My mum loves to keep things simple, so following her path, I like to season my roasted potatoes just with a glug of high-quality extra-virgin olive oil, garlic, fresh rosemary and freshly dried Sicilian oregano (any other oregano is OK too, but the very best is sold in branches).
Why Italian New Potatoes are so good for you?
Italian new potatoes have a unique delicate flavour and a rich smooth texture, they come with a very thin skin and do not need to be peeled (which means less work in the kitchen and more nutrients – YAY!).
They’re also highly nutritious, and a very good source of carbs, vitamin B6 and potassium among others.
If that wasn’t enough, Italian new potatoes are conveniently cheap, filling and can be paired with virtually anything – from other veggies, to any kind of meat, fish and poultry.
When are Italian New Potatoes in Season?
The warm Italian weather in late summer is the perfect time for planting new potatoes, while here in the UK we’re busy harvesting and eating ours.
Italian new potatoes are picked up in October, so the best time to enjoy them is from late October until December. Over this period, they become the highlight of traditional Italian cuisine and are served with pretty much any kind of secondi (main courses).
I’m so glad to have partnered up with Branston and Seasonal Spuds for this amazing recipe. Branston’s Italian New potatoes are hands-down the best you can find in UK, and grow along a 10 mile strip of coastline in the Puglia region, situated in the south of Italy. They’re still harvested the traditional way, gently gathered by hand to preserve their delicate skin.
The result is a perfect little spud with an incredibly soft texture and an awesome light flavour that pairs well with anything. Branston’s Italian new potatoes will be available in Tesco stores throughout November and early December.
The Secret for Crispy Italian Pan-Roasted New Potatoes
Pan-roasting potatoes instead of baking them is a total game-changer. It means you can get crispy, delicious potatoes with no need to turn the oven on and wait at least 40-50 minutes for them to be ready.
Roasted potatoes are awesome and will always be, but sometimes there’s just not enough time. This pan-roasted version is just equally delicious and ready in a fraction of the time – A total win-win if you ask me!
The secret to achieve perfectly crisp pan-roasted new potatoes is to cook them twice. First you give them a quick boil to soften them up, then you pan roast them until crispy perfection.
It doesn’t take much effort and it’s most definitely worth the extra step. Make sure you choose roughly same-sized potatoes, so that they cook at the same time.
Half-way through add the seasoned chicken breasts, and let it all cook until perfectly done. I mean, prepping dinner doesn’t get easier than this!
This recipe is definitely a keeper if you’re not quite ready to give up summer-ish food in lieu of comforting stews and baked pasta meals, gives. Plus it’s super easy to make, highly nutritious and guaranteed to be loved by grown ups and kids alike.
More Ways To enjoy Italian Pan-roasted New Potatoes
These crispy pan-roasted new potatoes are super versatile and go easily with pretty much anything. I’ve decided to serve mine with grilled chicken breast this time, but any kind of meat, fish or veggies would work just as great.
Italian Pan-roasted New Potatoes with Grilled Chicken
- 450 g small Italian new potatoes cleaned
- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 rosemary sprigs leaves only, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves lightly crushed with your hand
- 1 tsp freshly dried oregano leaves
- 2 organic large chicken breasts
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Clean the potatoes by gently rubbing them under fresh running water. Bring a large pot to a boil, then fold the potatoes in and cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and transfer into a large bowl. Add in 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, rosemary, oregano, sea salt and black pepper to taste, and stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fold the garlic and the seasoned potatoes in and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes.
- Brush the chicken breasts with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and season with salt and black pepper to taste. Push the potatoes around the edges, place the chicken breasts in the middle.
- Sear the chicken breasts for 2 minutes on each side, then cover with a lid and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and cut into thick slices.
- Divide the pan-roasted Italian new potatoes among plates, and serve with the grilled chicken breast and a green salad.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!