This delicious figs and mozzarella salad combines sweet and salty flavours to make a summer feast in your mouth!
Incredibly effortless to make, this salad is one of my favorite summer dish. It takes only 4 ingredients and is ready in less than 15 mins! Now, that’s quick uh?!
Tender, juicy and incredibly sweet figs are the star of this summer salad. Make sure you choose high quality organic fruits.
Italian figs – available from June to August and Greek figs – from September to November work best as they are the most sweet varieties, but any other will do just make sure they’re in season and slightly ripe.You can use either green or black figs, they’re both delicious.
I love grilling the figs when I make this summer salad. You can simply cut them in half and serve them raw, or gently grill them for a few mins on a hot grilling pan and make their sweet flavor explode in all its goodness.
Once you get the figs the way you want them, it all comes down to the mozzarella. Don’t choose just any mozzarella, go for fresh organic buffalo mozzarella if you can. The milky, tender and incredibly tasty flavor of this particular cheese perfectly marries the figs unique sweetness, and it will make this salad your favorite summer meal ( and possibly fall too).
I happened to have some leftover mozzarella from a Fried Mozzarella Sandwich night I hosted this friday ( which was quite fulfilling and satisfying!). Having still a large ball of mozzarella left in the fridge and some beautiful figs found at the local market, this summer salad was absolutely on top of my weekend to-do list. Every year when the fig season starts, this is the first thing I make and puts me instantly in summer mood. Although the hot season hasn’t officially started yet, I only need a taste of this salad and it’s summer in my mouth already!
Season the ingredients with organic fruity extra virgin olive oil and high-quality balsamic vinegar. Choosing with great care these two dressings will pay off not only in this summer figs and mozzarella salad, but in any other dish. Decorate the plate with baby mint or basil leaves, purple basil also goes beautifully.
I love it simple as it is, served as a refreshing appetizer or a light meal. But a couple of parma ham slices and a bunch of arugula make this salad a well-balanced healthy lunch too.
If you want a taste of Summer all you need is great ingredients and a little of your time. It’s totally vegetarian, so it’s a fantastic recipe to try for meatless monday, and it’s great for a quick weekday lunch and for picnics during the weekend!
Tomorrow is also World Meatfree Day and this beautiful dish is the perfect way to support this important campaign!
- 1 ball (125gr) fresh mozzarella / buffalo mozzarella
- 3 slightly ripe figs
- 5-6 baby mint/basil leaves, to decorate
- 1 tbsp Extravirgin olive oil, to drizzle
- ½ tsp balsamic vinegar, to drizzle
- salt and pepper
- Maldon salt, to decorate
- Half the figs horizontally and cut the mozzarella into wedges.
- In a small jar mix together 1 tbsp of olive oil and ½ tsp of balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, close the lid and shake the ingredients for a few seconds, until combined.
- Heat a frying pan over med-high heat. Add the figs flat side down and grill for 1- 2 mins until slightly caramelized. Remove and allow to cool a little.
- Arrange the mozzarella on a plate, top with grilled figs and drizzle a little vinaigrette over.
- Decorate with baby mint or basil leaves, maldon salt and extra freshly cracked black pepper.