How can you possibly resist these all-Christmassy Vegan Santa Hat Cupcakes?
Christmas is the perfect time of the year to showcase your creativity and put a smile on the face of your loved ones.
These Santa Hat Cupcakes are way too easy to make and the result is a bundle of cuteness! Satisfying your sweet tooth it couldn’t be simpler and healthier. Indeed, these cupcakes are 100% vegan (so dairy free too), and will help you save extra calories during the holidays without sacrificing yourself.
Although there is this myth that vegan means tasteless, trust me, this is just a legend, these cupcakes couldn’t be more sweet and delicious. The secret for making mouth-watering Santa Hats is the cocoa. Investing in very good quality Dutch cocoa powder will give you amazing results.
I also use organic Muscovado sugar, which gives extra sweetness that pairs well with the cocoa and fresh strawberries; if you’re hard time finding it, swap with regular brown sugar. Choosing the right sugar is important when making desserts, each one has unique characteristics, here’s a comprehensive list of popular types of sugar.
You can choose different kind of dairy-free milk, I’ve opted for my homemade Almond milk, which is rich in texture and super energetic. Try with fresh coconut milk or with soy milk, but if using the second, add 1 tbsp of vinegar to curdle up a little (soy milk is very watery).
This is a brilliant recipe for making a delicious Christmas dessert in less than 30 mins. These allergy-friendly vegan santa hat cupcakes can be easily enjoyed by every guest, and make a fantastic DIY homemade gift both for kids to grown-ups.
- 8fl oz / 230ml almond/soya milk
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 5oz / 140g Muscovado sugar
- 3floz / 90ml very light extravirgin olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 -1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4oz / 125g plain flour ( use rice flour for gluten-free version)
- 1- ½ oz / 45g Dutch cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 36 small strawberries, steam cut off
- 1 cup vegan butter, very cold
- 1 -1/2 confectioner's sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- In a large bowl whisk together almond milk, sugar, oil and vanilla. Whisk until foamy.
- In a separate bowl combine the remaining dry ingredients.
- Gradually pour the wet mixture into the dry one, while mixing. Whisk until all ingredients are combined and you have a rich creamy texture.
- Pour the mixture into a cupcake pan lined with paper liners, filling ¾ of each.
- Bake in a preheated oven to 350F/175C until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean, about 13 mins.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the frosting.
- In a large bowl beat together butter and half the sugar, until smooth. Continue beating, gradually adding the remaining sugar and vanilla extract, until you have a rich fluffy texture.
- Transfer into a piping bag and refrigerate until ready to use.
- When the cupcakes are done, allow to cool. Top each one with the frosting, sit a strawberry in the middle and top with a tiny pinch of frosting for making the Santa hat.
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Enjoy and Merry Christmas!
Makes 36 mini cupcakes or 20 regular ones.