This easy vegan chocolate truffles recipe is the secret to make a sweet treat that can be actually good for you.
What’s the secret ingredient? A simple avocado. Yes, can you believe these beautiful, mouth-watering truffles are actually made with avocado? If you thought you could have it only in guacamole or sushi, then you were far from being right.
Avocado is one of those superfoods, which means is packed with healthy benefits. It contains monounsatured fat, a “good fat” that improves cholesterol levels, decrease the risk of heart disease, and can benefit brain activity and locomotion; it also has loads of Vitamin E, making avocado a rich antioxidant, protecting body tissue from damage by disabling free radicals (groups of unpaired atoms in the body that can lead to cancer or heart disease).
It ‘s one of the most versatile fruits, it has a fantastic texture and a plain flavor that allows you to play a lot with and put it almost everywhere, from savory to sweet recipes.
In another words, you definitely want to start including avocado in your diet ( but not too much, since it’s not really low in calories). Pair this superfood with good quality dark chocolate, and you end up with a super delicious and healthy dessert!
This easy-to-follow recipe requires 3 ingredients only and 2 optional ones, although I love to add a pinch of chili powder into the truffles mix. Trust me and try it, it’s really a tiny pinch and it gives a nice spicy kick to this sweet dessert. Ready in less than 15 min, I promise it takes a lot of effort to resist and not eat all those yummy truffles at once.
These vegan chocolate truffles are one of those dream desserts: low cal, dairy-free, gluten free, and absolutely healthy!
- 1 ripe avocado
- 5 oz good quality 72% dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- ? tsp Maldon smoked flakes (optional)
- 2½ tbsp unsweetened dutch cocoa powder
- a pinch of chili powder (optional)
- Peel the avocado and blend in a food processor until completely smooth .
- Melt the chocolate in either the microwave or on the stove. Allow to cool.
- Add in the mashed avocado, brown sugar, salt, and 1½ tbsp of the cocoa powder.
- Mix until all combined.
- Place the truffle mixture in the freezer for 10-15 mins and let cool until quite set.
- Use a small ice cream scooper and form balls with your hands.
- Roll in the remaining cocoa powder. Shake off the cocoa in excess and serve.