Bursting with flavour, this heart-warming vegan Pumpkin and Carrot soup is slightly spicy, naturally gluten-free and dairy-free, and can be cooked in 4 ways, including in your Instant Pot!
We're in full fall mode here!
The weather is getting chillier, and it's just the perfect excuse to have a big bowl of heart-warming pumpkin and carrot soup.
This super velvety vegan pumpkin and carrot soup is the perfect way to start pumpkin season at the best.
It's rich, slightly spicy and packed with oh-so-good-for-you ingredients.
Pumpkin and carrot are beautiful together and bring out such a lovely sweet flavour, which is nicely complemented by the warm and hearty mix of spices.
Top it off with a drop or two of dairy-free yogurt/sour cream/cashew cream and serve it with toasted rustic bread.
In no time, you've got yourself an incredibly fulfilling meal to make on repeat until next summer.
This spicy vegan pumpkin and carrot soup recipe is ready in less than 30 min, and only calls for simple wholesome ingredients.
Very low in fat but high in fibre and packed with nutrients, this is a favourite soup to make during the cold months.
It's a feast for your taste-buds and warms your heart at the very first spoon!
The secret behind this flavoursome pumpkin and carrot soup is the mix of spices, which bring this soup to a whole new level.
I used a combination of ginger, cumin, turmeric, paprika and sumac.
If you can't find sumac, substitute it with black pepper and a pinch of cardamom.
This mix of spices brightens up the sweet and delicate flavor of the carrots and pumpkin, and add up a whole level of flavour.
If you're not afraid of a little heat, add some chopped fresh red chili for an extra spicy kick.
4-Ways To Cook Pumpkin and Carrot Soup
What I love most about this pumpkin and carrot soup is that can be easily made in multiple ways.
Hob: For a classic method simply cook the veggies in a hot pan with olive oil and spices, then add stock and simmer until cooked.
Oven: If you have a little more time, opt for oven-roasting all vegetables with the olive oil and spices.
Then blend all the ingredients, adding a bit of hot stock until you reach a velvety texture.
Instant Pot: Simply add all the ingredients in your Instant Pot.
Set on manual setting for 10 minutes, and let it do all the work. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth and creamy.
Steamer: For a light version, simply throw all the veggies in a steamer and cook until soft and tender.
Then blend together with olive oil, spices and hot stock until creamy and delicious.
Fresh Pumpkin vs. Canned Pumpkin
And finally, let's talk a bit about the pumpkin!
If you want your vegan pumpkin soup bold in flavour, I would totally recommend going for fresh pumpkin. You can find some great tips here on how to choose the right pumpkin for cooking.
You can either saute it together with the other veggies, for quick cooking time. However, if you have a little more time, you should definitely opt for roasting your pumpkin.
All you have to do is place it on a baking sheet and roast it for about 50 – 60 minutes at 180C.
You can also just toss your carrots, onion and the rest of the ingredients (minus the stock) on the pan and roast those right alongside the pumpkin!
If you can't find fresh pumpkin, you can definitely use canned pumpkin.
I would recommend using an entire can and just add it in your blender, together with the veggies you have previously sauteed. It will still taste good, but it will lack a bit of pumpkin flavour you'd get from the fresh option.
Can I Freeze This Vegan Pumpkin Soup?
Absolutely yes! In fact, this pumpkin soup freezes beautifully. Simply place your leftover soup in a freezer-friendly container, and store in the freezer for up to one month.
More vegan soups to try:
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
Vegan Pumpkin and Carrot Soup
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and finely cubed
- 800 gr pumpkin, peeled and finely cubed (28 oz)
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, teared
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 liter hot vegetable stock (4 cups)
For the spice mix:
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp hot paprika powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- vegan sour cream or yogurt
- fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl, combine all the spices together and set them aside until needed.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add in onion, carrots and pumpkin, followed by the thyme and spice mix. Sauté for 10 mins or until the vegetables begin to soften, then season to taste.
- Pour the stock and simmer for 10-15 mins, or until the veggies are cooked through.
- Turn off heat. Allow the vegetables to cool slightly, and remove one cup of stock from the pot. Transfer to a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth, adding set aside stock if necessary, until reaching desired consistency.
- Top with your vegan pumpkin soup with optional dairy-free sour cream or yogurt, and freshly chopped cilantro, and serve.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days, or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.