Bursting with flavour, this heart-warming Spicy Pumpkin and Carrot soup is naturally vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and can be cooked in 4 ways, including in your Instant Pot!
We’re in full fall mode here!
The weather is getting chillier, and it’s just the perfect excuse to have a big bowl of hearth-warming pumpkin and carrot soup.
This super velvety spicy pumpkin and carrot soup is the perfect way to start pumpkin season at the best.
It’s rich, lightly spiced and packed with oh-so-good-for-you ingredients.
Pumpkin and carrot are beautiful together and bring out such a lovely sweet flavour, which is nicely complemented by the warm and hearty mix of spices.
Top it off with a drop or two of yogurt/sour cream/cashew cream and serve it with toasted rustic bread.
In no time, you’ve got yourself an incredible fulfilling meal to make on repeat until summer.
This spicy pumpkin and carrot soup recipe is ready in less than 30 min, and only calls for simple wholesome ingredients.
Very low in fat but high in fiber and packed with nutrients, this is a favorite soup to make during the cold months.
It’s a feast for your taste-buds and warms your heart at the very first spoon!
The secret behind this flavoursome pumpkin and carrot soup is the mix of spices, which bring this soup to a whole new level.
I used a combination of ginger, cumin, turmeric, paprika and sumac.
If you can’t find sumac, substitute it with black pepper and a pinch of cardamom.
This mix of spices brightens up the sweet and delicate flavor of the carrots and pumpkin. The spices also add lots of anti-inflammatory benefits.
If you’re not afraid of a little heat, add some chopped fresh red chili for an extra spicy kick.
4-Ways To Cook Pumpkin and Carrot Soup
What I love most about this pumpkin and carrot soup is that can be made in multiple ways.
Hob: For a classic method simply cook the veggies in a hot pan with olive oil and spices, then add stock and simmer until cooked.
Oven: If you have a little more time, opt for oven-roasting all vegetables with the olive oil and spices.
Then blend all the ingredients, adding a bit of hot stock until you reach a velvety texture.
Instant Pot: Simply add all the ingredients in your Instant Pot.
Set on manual setting for 10 minutes, and let it do all the work. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth and creamy.
Steamer: For a light version, simply throw all the veggies in a steamer and cook until soft and tender.
Then blend together with olive oil, spices and hot stock until creamy and delicious.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
Spicy Pumpkin and Carrot Soup
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and finely cubed
- 800 gr pumpkin, peeled and finely cubed (28 oz)
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, teared
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 liter hot vegetable stock (4 cups)
For the spice mix:
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp hot paprika powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- vegan sour cream
- fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl, combine all the spices together and set aside until needed.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add in onion, carrots and pumpkin, followed by thyme and spice mix. Sauté for 10 mins or until the vegetables begin to soften, then season to taste.
- Pour the stock and simmer for 10-15 mins, or until the veggies are cooked through.
- Turn off heat. Allow the vegetables to cool slightly, and remove one cup of stock from the pot. Transfer to a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth, adding set aside stock if necessary, until reaching desired consistency.
- Top with vegan sour cream and freshly chopped cilantro, and serve.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days, or in the freezer for up to 1 month.