Bursting with flavor, this heart-warming vegan Spicy Pumpkin and Carrot soup is wholesome, nutritious and perfect to welcome the fall season.
As the weather gets a little chiller, I find myself craving soup. This creamy spicy pumpkin and carrot soup is the perfect way to start autumn (and pumpkin season) at the best.
This easy pumpkin soup recipe is ready in less than 30 min, and only calls for simple wholesome ingredients. Very low in fat but high in fibre and vitamin, this is on of my favorite soups to make during the cold months. It’s a feast for your taste-buds and warms your heart at the very first spoon.
The secret behind this flavorsome pumpkin and carrot soup is the mix of spices, which bring this soup to a whole new level. I used a combination of ginger, cumin, turmeric, paprika and sumac (if you can’t find it, substitute with black pepper and a pinch of cardamom). This mix brightens up the sweet and delicate flavor of the carrots and pumpkin as well as adding lots of anti-inflammatory benefits. If you’re not afraid of a little heat, add some chopped fresh chilli for an extra spicy kick.
What I love the most of this soup is that can be made in multiple ways. For a classic method simply cook the veggies in a pan with olive oil, then add stock and simmer until cooked.
Alternatively, if you have a little more time, roast them in the oven, or add all the ingredients in a slow-cooker ( I often make it in my multicooker).
Instead, for a super light version, simply throw all the veggies in a steamer until soft and tender.
With few wholesome ingredients and quick cook time, you have no excuse not to give this healthy and delicious recipe a try! This spicy pumpkin and carrot soup is easy to make, tasty and packed with nutritional value. What’s not to love?
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
- 800gr pumpkin, peeled and finely cubed
- 3 carrots, peeled and cubed
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- fresh ginger, grated
- 1 litre hot vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme, teared
- sea salt and optional black pepper to taste
- For the spice mix:
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp sumac
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ hot paprika
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- To serve:
- No-dairy vegan sour cream
- fresh cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add in onion, carrots and pumpkin, followed by thyme and spice mix. Sauté for 10 mins or until the vegetables begin to soften, then season to taste.
- Pour the stock and simmer for 10-15 mins, or until the veggies are cooked through.
- Turn off heat. Allow the vegetables to cool slightly and then transfer to a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately with sour cream and freshly chopped cilantro on top.