Fresh and super crunchy, packed with superfood veggies and quinoa. Make these awesome vegan zucchini quinoa sushi rolls for a delightful lunch or appetizer. Perfect to entertain guests!
These pretty vegan zucchini quinoa sushi rolls are effortlessly easy to make and feature fresh simple veggies, including superfoods carrot and avocado.
Best of all, you only need 5 ingredients and 15 min prep to go from everyday veggies to a glorious and elegant appetizer, snack or side.
Zucchini "sushi" is a fun new take on traditional sushi that features zucchini instead of seaweed and healthy quinoa in place of rice.
These 15-min vegan zucchini sushi rolls start with the protein-rich superfood quinoa.
Light nutty flavour, versatile, packed with protein,vitamins, fiber and minerals - Quinoa surely has it all.
I've got more quinoa recipes coming soon, and I'm always looking for inspiration, so make sure you share your tips and favorite quinoa recipes with me, I'm all ears!
How to Make Zucchini Sushi Rolls
The technique is very similar to traditional japanese sushi maki.
In place of nori simply arrange the thin zucchini slices slightly overlapping each other, carrying on until you have a long strip enough to make 4 rolls out of it. Consider a couple of extra cm per side, as the edges will be chopped off to ensure all rolls are even.
You can use any fresh veggies and herbs of your choice to fill the zucchini rolls. I used avocado, carrots, and a bunch of fresh aromatic baby mint leaves.
Once you have arranged all the ingredients on top of the zucchini, it's time to roll it up using the same technique as Japanese sushi. If you're new to making sushi, it will be easier to follow a step-by-step tutorial.
These vegan zucchini quinoa sushi rolls are great accompanied by some soy sauce and wasabi. If you can handle the heat, I highly recommend to pair them with an awesome sriracha basil ketchup or some simple sweet chili, SO delicious.
Serve them along a colourful salad for a light lunch, or on their own for an elegant appetizer to share. They're vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free, so perfect to please most of your guests, even the ones with strict dietary requirements.
Hope you guys have fun making these rolls! Let me know how you liked by leaving a comment below. Even better, snap a picture, tag it #thepetitecook and share it on Instagram! Looking at your foodie pics always makes me hungry :)!
Vegan Zucchini Quinoa Sushi Rolls
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 small-medium zucchini
- 1 carrot cut into strips
- 1 avocado cut into strips
- a bunch of fresh mint leaves chopped
- light soya sauce to serve
- wasabi to serve
- Cover with cling film a bamboo sheet. In the meantime, cut the zucchini lengthwise into very thin strips with the help of a peeler.
- Arrange the thin zucchini slices slightly overlapping each other, carrying on until you have a long strip enough to make 4 rolls out of it.
- Consider a couple of extra cm per side, as the edges will be chopped off to ensure all rolls are even.
- Place 1/2 cup of quinoa on top, press a thin layer of quinoa onto the bottom. Make sure you have a even layer that covers horizontally half the zucchini bed.
- Arrange carrots and avocado into a long even strip on top of quinoa.
- Start to roll up, making sure to keep the roll tight, and gently pressing down with your fingers all the way until you reach the end. Be careful not to squeeze out the roll filling.
- Once the roll is ready, you can cover in cling film and refrigerate for 15 mins to firm it up. Or you can use a sharp knife and carefully cut it into 4 even rolls, chopping the two ends off.
- Serve accompanied by soy sauce and wasabi, or refrigerate for up to 3 hours and serve later.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.