Brighten up your day with this gorgeous Blood Orange and Rocket Salad – Simple, packed with vibrant colors and so refreshing!
While strolling around Borough Market the other day, I was lucky enough to find some beautiful blood oranges from my beloved Sicily. I thought the season was already over, but I tasted one and it was so juicy and full of flavour, I couldn’t resist bring a few bags home with me.
This beautiful salad showcases some of my favorite ingredients, starting of course with these utterly delicious Sicilian blood oranges. Juicy, sweet and slightly tangy, they’re perfect paired with some fresh rocket leaves and a handful of toasted almond flakes. You can mix & match with regular oranges to add more sweetness, or go all-in with just the zingy bloody variety.
I like to dress this light and refreshing salad with a super simple vinaigrette made with balsamic vinegar, blood orange juice and extra-virgin olive oil. For a well balanced lunch option, you can also add some crumbled feta or goat cheese.
I can barely take how much I adore this salad. I make it all the time I find blood oranges at the market, and it’s fantastic on its own, but even better with grilled fish such as tuna or swordfish or with a simple chicken/turkey breast.
This colorful Blood Orange and Rocket Salad is so delicious, you’ve gotta try it! Plus, it’s vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free – simply perfect for everyone to enjoy!
I hope you will give this deliciously healthy salad a try! Don’t forget to leave a comment below or on my Facebook page, and let me know how you liked it! Even better, snap a picture, tag it #thepetitecook and share it on Instagram! I can’t wait to see all your delicious creations :).
- 150gr / 5oz fresh arugula, washed and patted dry
- 2 large blood oranges, peeled and chopped into rounds
- ¼ cup / 40gr chopped almonds, toasted
- 70gr/ 2oz crumbled feta (optional)
- juice of 1 blood orange
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- In a large bowl mix togheter rocket, blood oranges, almonds and feta ( if using).
- In a small bowl whisk together blood orange juice, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Season well with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizze the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- Top with extra almonds and serve. Enjoy!