This quick and awesomely vegan Broccoli Pesto Pasta recipe is highly nutritious, healthy, and requires only 6 simple ingredients and 15 minutes to make!
I've been making this vegan broccoli pesto pasta on repeat in the last few months, and my whole family keeps asking for more! So, it was about time I'd share it with you all.
The flavour-packed, creamy broccoli pesto sauce embraces beautifully the paccheri (but you can choose any kind of pasta you like).
The lemon zest gives a delightful refreshing twist and the toasted pine nuts add a little always-welcome crunch.
For an Italian-style pesto, you can also add a few tablespoons of Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese.
If you like things spicy, a tiny pinch of red pepper flakes will totally complete this dish.
Best of all, it takes just 6 simple everyday ingredients to make this SUPER HEALTHY vegan broccoli pesto pasta.
As an added bonus, this vegan broccoli pesto freezes beautifully, so you can stock up the freezer for a quick lunch/dinner fix whenever you don't feel like cooking.
How To Make Vegan Broccoli Pesto
The BEST vegan broccoli pesto you will ever eat takes just 15 minutes to make *start to finish*, and requires only 6 simple ingredients:
*fresh or defrosted broccoli florets
*a handful of fresh basil leaves
*high-quality, fruity extra-virgin olive oil
Here are a few reasons to fall in love with this creamy broccoli pesto pasta. It's:
- ready in 20 minutes
- just 6 ingredients required
After quickly boiling the broccoli florets, place all the ingredients, besides the pasta, in a food processor and mix until combine.
And your pesto is all ready to go!
For a balanced Italian-style meal, serve it with pasta. I opt, whenever possible, for high-quality short/long Italian-made pasta ( I like paccheri pasta from Gragnano).
Make sure you don't throw the water where you have previously boiled the broccoli.
Instead, when it's time to cook the pasta, simply add it into the broccoli-water pot, so it gets infused with extra broccoli flavor (and can soak up extra vitamins & nutrients).
Don't forget to reserve ¼ cup of pasta cooking water, so you can add it to the broccoli pesto right before dressing the pasta, for a creamy, delicious result.
This broccoli pesto pasta is completely foolproof, so it's absolutely perfect for novice cooks.
And it tastes so good, that will even please the most determined broccoli-haters.
Why You Should Eat More Broccoli
Broccoli is one of those so-good-for-you ingredients packed with health benefits.
This incredible vegetable is the most concentrated source of vitamin C, as well as antioxidants.
It’s also high in fiber, which aids digestion, and maintains low blood sugar.
These are just a few of the healthy properties of this versatile veggie, so you should definitely try to incorporate more broccoli in your diet, and what better way than this vegan pasta sauce?
If you’re looking for an easy weeknight meal, look no further.
This broccoli pesto pasta is easy, quick, completely fuss-free and 100% family approved!
Can I Freeze Broccoli Pesto?
Yes, you can totally freeze broccoli pesto! Once your pesto is ready, divide into portions and store in freeze-safe containers, and place in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Check Out More Pesto Recipes To Try:
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
Vegan Broccoli Pesto Pasta
- 350 g (about 1 head) broccoli florets
- 350 g short pasta (I use paccheri)
- handful fresh basil leaves
- 60 g toasted pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt & freshly cracked black pepper
- toasted pine nuts
- handful of basil leaves
- lemon zest
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Cook the broccoli florets in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, for about 5 minutes, or just until tender.
- With the help of a slotted spoon, transfer the florets from the water into a bowl with cold water and ice, then drain and set aside.
- Fold the pasta into the pot used for cooking the broccoli and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes for paccheri.
- Add broccoli florets, basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice and zest into a food processor and pulse until crumbly.
- Set the food processor on slow speed and gently pour in the extra-virgin olive oil. continue to mix until your broccoli pesto reaches a creamy texture.
- Add 60 ml (¼ cup) of pasta cooking water into the broccoli pesto and continue to mix until reaching a creamy texture. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Drain the pasta, return to the pot and stir in the broccoli pesto.
- Divide the broccoli pesto pasta among 4 plates, top with extra pine nuts, lemon zest, basil leaves and freshy cracked black pepper, and serve
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This recipe was originally published in September 2018 and updated with more info.