How to turn classic Chinese fried rice into a delicious snack to share, and perfect for spring picnics!
These chinese fried rice cakes make a fantastic lunch/dinner/snack and are loaded with refreshing flavors. Ready in less than 30 mins and sure to please kids and grown ups alike.
I came up with this recipe because I was craving some good classic Chinese fried rice yesterday. I don’t really like to eat “a pot of rice”, even if it’s filled with delicious roasted ham, shrimps and veggies. If I have to eat rice as main course, then it’s gotta be risotto (and I’m obsessed with this Salmon & Asparagus risotto lately).
So, I decided to give a little twist to the traditional chinese fried rice recipe. After mixing all the ingredients, instead of stir-frying them altogether,I’ve shaped the rice mixture into small patties, just the way you normally make polpette and then I’ve simply stir-fry them until golden. ( you don’t know what polpette are?? You better check the polpette I made with Masterchef Luca Manfé).
Even better, you can make these super easy rice cakes with leftover chinese fried rice, or any of your favorite rice recipes really. Oh, If you are on the heat side, come and join me and dip your rice cakes into spicy sriracha sauce!
- 4 cups cooked short grain rice
- 1 cup diced roasted/cooked ham
- ⅔ cup frozen peas
- 1 cup cleaned prawns
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs + for coating
- 2 chopped spring onions
- 2 tbs black sesame seeds
- a pinch of dried chili flakes
- ½ tsp lemon zest (optional)
- Vegetable frying oil
- Salt&Black Pepper, to taste
- Cook prawns and peas in a large pot of salted boiling water, for 4 mins. Drain and gently pat dry.
- In a large bowl, mix together cooked rice, egg whites, lemon zest and chili flakes and season a little.
- Fold in chopped onions, diced ham, sesame seeds, panko, prawns and peas, mix and season to taste.
- With the help of your hands, shape the rice mixture into round, flat patties.
- Arrange some extra panko onto a plate and lightly coat both sides of each cake. Refrigerate for 5 mins.
- Heat a large frying pan, add the oil and swirl it around to coat the bottom.
- Stir fry the rice cakes for 2 mins on each side, or until golden.
- Pat dry on kitchen paper and serve immediately.