All you need to celebrate a special occasion is of course a cake, and what’s better than this fantastic Mango Cheesecake with Brownie crust?
This Mango Cheesecake recipe has all the key essentials a proper cake needs:
– It’s light, so you can have seconds without feeling too guilty!
– It has chocolate, because it’s okay to indulge into heart-warming chocolate from time to time.
– It’s packed with fruits, which don’t only taste delicious but guarantee 1 of your 5-a-day.
A classic cheesecake has a digestive biscuits base, my version includes a delicious brownie crust that adds a lot more excitement and gets the attention of all the chocolate lovers out there. If you don’t fancy mango, swap it with persimmon, and I can easily guarantee you will love it too.
It can be confusing to choose the right cheese for you cake; I know it sounds a little heretic, but try to avoid store-bought cheese spreads, and keep it as natural as possible. I use ricotta cheese, low in fat and versatile, this italian cheese is a great alternative for delicious and healthier desserts. In Sicily, it’s the key ingredient for making the world famous cannoli, – did I convince you now?
You can either make 6 mini cheesecakes in a muffin tin or use a spring-form cake pan and make one larger cheesecake if you prefer.
This mini Mango cheesecake with brownie crust is a delightful dessert for any party, plus it’s extremely cute!
Mango Cheesecake with Brownie crust
- 1/2 cup /115g salted butter
- 8 ounces /228g coarsely chopped quality dark chocolate
- 1 cup /200g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp /80g all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 oz/ 240gr ricotta cheese well drained
- 2/3 cup / 75gr granulated sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 mangos peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp lime
- Seasonal fruits to decorate
For the brownie crust:
- In a microwavable bowl, put chocolate chunks and butter and microwave for 3 mins over med power, stirring every 30 secs. Allow to cool.
- Fold into the bowl sugar and eggs, one at a time, whisking well until smooth. Add vanilla and cocoa, then fold in the flour and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into a 9x9 baking pan covered with aluminium foil. Bake in a preheated oven to 350F/180C for 35 mins, you will see the brownies pulling away from the edges of the pan. Set aside to cool, then gently remove the top layer with a knife, and cut 6 small circles ( the same size of your ramekins). Set aside until needed.
For the Ricotta filling:
- In a large bowl whisk energetically together the ricotta with sugar and zest of orange & lemon.
- Cover 6 small muffin tins with plastic wrap and arrange a disk of brownie crust on each, gently pressing down to the bottom.
- Evenly divide the ricotta filling into the tins, leaving 1cm space on top.
- Put into the freezer while you make the mango puree.
For the mango puree:
- Blend mango cubes with sugar and lime juice, adding 1 tbsp water if the mixture is too thick.
- Pour the mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl.
- Cover each cheesecake with the mango puree and refrigerate until set, about 2h or overnight.
- Gently remove from the muffin tin and decorate with fresh fruits and chocolate. Enjoy!