Soft, crumbly and made without butter, this magic 5-ingredient Olive Oil Shortcrust Pastry is a light dairy-free alternative to the classic version and great for tarts, cookies and pies!
I’ve discovered this magic olive oil shortcrust pastry not long time ago, and I’ve been secretly obsessed with it ever since.
I know it’s easier to buy pre-made shortcrust pastry at the supermarket, but believe me, making your own is pastry is totally life-changing. It tastes SO MUCH better. Best of all, you know exactly what goes in, and in this case no butter is involved!
This Olive Oil Shortcrust Pastry follows a traditional Italian “pastra frolla” (sweet shortcrust pastry) recipe, which swaps heavy butter for light, aromatic and easier-to-digest extra-virgin olive oil. The result? A super light, crumbly and incredibly easy to make sweet shortcrust pastry that’s just as delicious -if not even better- as the buttery classic version.
The secret behind a great olive oil shortcrust pastry is choosing a good quality extra-virgin olive oil. I opted for a Greek D.O.P evoo, which is just slightly aromatic. Make sure you choose an extra-virgin olive oil that is light, not too acidic or fruity, so that it doesn’t over-power the delicate flavour of the pastry.
The recipe only requires 5 simple ingredients: light extra-virgin olive oil, eggs, sugar, flour and lemon zest. Making this olive oil shortcrust pastry couldn’t be easier, all you have to do is fold, one-by-one, all ingredients in a food processor, and pulse until combined. It literally takes no more than 5 min prep!
To achieve a perfect melt-in-your-mouth crumbly texture, remember not to overwork the pastry. This will ensure the crust remains flaky and delicate and doesn’t turn tough after baking.Once you have worked your pastry into a ball, wrap it up in cling film and rest in the fridge for half an hour. Now, you’re ready to go and bake whatever you like. I’ve used it before to make this awesome Nectarine Tart, and to remake my popular shortbread cookies, and both came out incredibly delicious.
Once you give this awesome crumbly, delicate, no-butter olive oil shortcrust pastry a try, it will easily become your go-to substitute for any sweet recipe calling for classic shortcrust pastry!DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
- 300g all-purpose flour
- 150g confectioner sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 100ml high-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- zest of 1 lemon
- a pinch of salt
- Place the flour in a mixing bowl and make a small hole in the center. Beat in the eggs, lemon zest and sugar, then add the extra-virgin olive oil, salt and bring together with a wooden spoon into a dough.
- Alternatively place the ingredients -following the same order- into an electric mixer, and mix the dough for about 2-3 min or until comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and continue to work with your hands until you have a smooth even dough. Flatten into a thick disc, cover with cling film and chill for 30 min.
- Use this olive oil shortcrust pastry as you would use the traditional one, to make tart crusts, simple cookies, or pies.
- For later use, simply wrap the pastry with cling film and freeze for up to 1 month.