These easy and delicious orange and chocolate vegan shortbread cookies make a light, gluten free and dairy free snack for the weekend - Don't forget to add chili flakes for a spicy kick!
You can't help but love everything about these cookies. Fragrant, deep in flavor, indulgent and chocolatey, they're also low in fats unlikely most shortbread recipes. I love the dark chocolate - red chili flakes combination, slightly bittersweet with a spicy kick that balances well the sweet shortbread. Ultimately, the orange gives a delicious citrusy aroma, making these cookies truly impossible to resist.
These orange and chocolate vegan shortbread cookies are also a great snack to carry in your bag with you during the day, and if you're giving a party this cookie recipe will please everyone, since they're 100% gluten free and dairy free!
Orange and chocolate shortbread cookies
- 1 cup/ 100g coconut oil, or vegan butter,
- ½ cup /100gr golden caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- zest of 1 orange, grated
- 2 cup/175g gluten-free flour
- a pinch of sea salt
- For the glaze:
- 100 g 72% good quality dairy-free dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- a pinch of chili flakes
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C, and spray with oil a baking sheet.
- Beat the coconut oil with the sugar, agave, salt and orange zest and mix until light and creamy.
- Stir in the flour and mix together to form a dough.
- Divide the mixture into 30 tiny balls, or your preferred size, and arrange on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Press each ball flat with the tip of a round-bladed knife.
- Chill for 15 mins, then bake for 12-15 mins until light golden and cooked through.
- Leave on the baking sheet for 2 mins before releasing with a palette knife. Slide onto a rack to cool.
- For the glaze: Melt chocolate and coconut oil in a heat-proof bowl set over a saucepan filled with simmering water, stirring until smooth. Remove from the heat, and stir in sugar
- Decorate the shortbread cookies with the chocolate glaze and decorate with chili flakes if desired. Allow to cool and set, then serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.