These easy and delicious orange and chocolate vegan shortbread cookies make a light, gluten free and dairy free snack for the weekend – Don’t forget to add chili flakes for a spicy kick!
You can’t help but love everything about these cookies. Fragrant, deep in flavor, indulgent and chocolatey, they’re also low in fats unlikely most shortbread recipes. I love the dark chocolate – red chili flakes combination, slightly bittersweet with a spicy kick that balances well the sweet shortbread. Ultimately, the orange gives a delicious citrusy aroma, making these cookies truly impossible to resist.
[easy-tweet tweet=”Shortbread Cookies With Orange And Chocolate- Healthy treat to please everyone!” user=”PetiteCook” hashtags=”#vegan”]
These orange and chocolate vegan shortbread cookies are also a great snack to carry in your bag with you during the day, and if you’re giving a party this cookie recipe will please everyone, since they’re 100% gluten free and dairy free!
- 1 cup/ 100g coconut oil, or vegan butter,
- ½ cup /100gr golden caster sugar
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- zest of 1 orange, grated
- 2 cup/175g gluten-free flour
- a pinch of sea salt
- For the glaze:
- 100gr 72% good quality dairy-free dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- a pinch of chili flakes
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C, and spray with oil a baking sheet.
- Beat the coconut oil with the sugar, agave, salt and orange zest and mix until light and creamy.
- Stir in the flour and mix together to form a dough.
- Divide the mixture into 30 tiny balls, or your preferred size, and arrange on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Press each ball flat with the tip of a round-bladed knife.
- Chill for 15 mins, then bake for 12-15 mins until light golden and cooked through.
- Leave on the baking sheet for 2 mins before releasing with a palette knife. Slide onto a rack to cool.
- For the glaze: Melt chocolate and coconut oil in a heat-proof bowl set over a saucepan filled with simmering water, stirring until smooth. Remove from the heat, and stir in sugar
- Decorate the shortbread cookies with the chocolate glaze and decorate with chili flakes if desired. Allow to cool and set, then serve.