Mulled wine means Christmas time everywhere, but it’s such a great drink to warm your nights up, that you can enjoy until spring really!
The combination of spices, red wine and citrus fruits makes Mulled wine a drink hard to beat during cold season; It warms you up and it also helps you with coughs. – Great excuse, ah?!-
It’s super simple and fast to prepare, play with different spices to find your perfect combo and leave it to a very gentle simmer so that all the flavors can get to know each other and bound.
Time to call your friends and spend the night in, cheers!
Winter Mulled Wine
- 2 bottles Chianti or dry red wine
- 1 vanilla pod halved lengthways
- 2 clementines
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup 110gr brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 1 whole nutmeg grated
- 6 cloves
- orange peel to decorate
- Peel the clementines and lemon and place peels in a large sauce pan.
- Squeeze in the juices from the 2 clementines and 1/2 lemon, then add the sugar.
- Fold in the cinnamon stick, vanilla pod, cloves and nutmeg.
- Pour in enough wine to cover the sugar. Bring to boil over med-heat, stirring occasionally.
- Keep on a rolling boil for 4- 5 mins, until you reach a syrupy texture.
- Then add in the star anise and the rest of the wine, and simmer for 5 more mins.
- Once ready, pour into brandy glasses or mugs, decorate with orange peel and serve.