Probably the BEST hot chocolate in the world – Learn how to make traditional Italian Hot Chocolate at home with just 5 ingredients and 10 minutes!
Smooth, incredibly rich and so indulgent, Italian hot chocolate is probably the best hot chocolate in the world if you ask me.
It has nothing to do with the watery, sad version often served at bars and cafeterias around the world.
I’m a big hot chocolate aficionado, and I’ve tasted (and tested) hot chocolate in Japan, France, Germany, UK and a bunch of other places, but not once I had something as close as the decadent Italian version.
The most amazing hot chocolate I’ve ever had is served at Caffè Rivoire, right in front of the famous Piazza della Signoria in Florence, Italy.
If you happen to be in the neighbourhood, make sure not to miss it. But if you can’t fly to Florence, please do not worry, you can make an equally delicious Italian hot chocolate at home in just 5 minutes!
Italian Hot Chocolate Ingredients
Italian hot chocolate is ready in just 10 mins start to finish and only requires 5 simple and easy ingredients:
- fresh milk ( feel free to use whole or part-skimmed)
- high-quality cocoa powder ( I like to use the Madagascar variety)
- 70% high-quality organic dark chocolate
What’s The Best Chocolate To Use?
To bring out the amazing chocolate aroma use the best dark chocolate you can find.
It does make a HUGE difference. In my opinion, the best Italian dark chocolate is made by Venchi.
But there are lots of good brands out there, just remember that good chocolate should be made only with cocoa mass, cocoa butter and sugar (some add vanilla too).
What’s The Secret For Thick Hot Chocolate?
That’s an easy question! Cornflour is the secret ingredient that makes this hot chocolate so decadent and rich.
Don’t worry about the flavour, it goes completely undetectable over your palate, but it will give you that amazing thick texture.
Italian Hot Chocolate Add-Ins
You can add a splash of pure vanilla extract, a drop of your favorite liquor (Baileys, Rum, Grand Marnier are my favorites!), or spice it up a little with a pinch of cinnamon.
Deliciously warm and thick, Italian hot chocolate is the ultimate treat to satisfy chocolate cravings!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
Traditional Italian Hot Chocolate
- 4 tsp white or demerara sugar (20 g)
- 4 tsp cornflour (20 g)
- 5 tsp high-quality organic cocoa powder (25 g)
- 500 ml fresh whole (or semi-skimmed) milk, warmed 17.5 fl oz
- 120 gr 70% dark chocolate, finely chopped (4oz)
- whipped cream, to serve (optional)
- Whisk into a small pot cornflour, cocoa and sugar.
- Pour the milk into the pot.
- Heat the mixture over medium-low heat, whisking often to avoid lumps.
- Bring the hot chocolate mixture almost to a light boil, then reduce the heat to low and fold in the chopped dark chocolate.
- Whisk the hot chocolate until creamy and dense, adding more sugar if you like it sweeter.
- Divide the Italian hot chocolate among two cups, top with whipped cream and serve.