Learn how to make the BEST Italian hot chocolate at home! Thick and creamy cioccolata calda in 10 minutes with just 5 ingredients!
If you have never tried smooth, creamy and thick Italian hot chocolate before, then you are definitely missing out.
Italian cioccolata calda is a creamy and luxuriously rich chocolate drink with pudding-like consistency.
Instead of water and cocoa powder, it's made with milk, good dark chocolate, sugar and a secret ingredient that helps make it super rich and thick.
This is the most incredible and comforting drink you can have to beat the cold weather.
It has nothing to do with the watery hot chocolate, drinking chocolate or hot cocoa often served at bars and cafeterias around the world.
I'm a big hot choc aficionado, and I've tasted (and tested) in many countries such as Japan, France, Germany and UK, but not once I had something as close as the decadent Italian version.
The best hot chocolate I've ever had is served at Caffè Rivoire - Master Chocolatiers, right in front of the famous Piazza Della Signoria in Florence, Italy.
If you happen to be in the neighbourhood, make sure not to miss it.
But if you can't fly to Florence, don’t worry, you can make it at home in just 10 minutes.
All you need to make Italian-style hot chocolate a is 5 simple and easy ingredients:
- Fresh milk: feel free to use whole or semi-skimmed milk.
- Cocoa powder: I like to use the Madagascar variety, but any unsweetened cocoa powder will work.
- 70% organic dark chocolate: the quality of the chocolate is critical to the final result, so get the best one you can find.
- Sugar: my go-to is classic granulated sugar for this recipe.
- Cornflour: I know it sounds weird, but you need cornflour to make deliciously thick hot chocolate.
The SECRET Ingredient
You read it right, cornflour is the secret ingredient that makes this Italian-style cioccolata calda so thick and creamy.
Don't worry about the flavour, corn starch goes completely undetectable over your palate, but it will give you that amazing thick texture.
Also, cornstarch is naturally gluten-free, but if you have any dietary restrictions, please make sure you buy cornflour that is labelled gluten-free.
What's the best chocolate to use?
To bring out the amazing chocolate aroma use the best dark chocolate bar or chocolate chips you can find.
There are lots of good brands out there, just remember that good chocolate should be made only with cocoa mass, cocoa butter and sugar (some add vanilla too).
You can also use milk chocolate if you like (again, go for high-quality chocolate), but note that it will give you a sweeter result.
HOW TO MAKE THICK HOT CHOCOLATE
The recipe couldn't be easier and requires only super basic kitchen tools.
I promise, once you have all the ingredients ready, it takes literally 10 minutes from nothing to an AMAZING mug of thick and creamy hot choc.
Step 1. Prep dry ingredients first, then add milk.
Start by whisking cornflour, cocoa and sugar in a small pot, then pour the warm milk into the pot.
Step 2. Warm the mixture, add chocolate.
Heat the mixture over medium-low heat, whisking often to avoid lumps. Bring the mixture almost to a light boil, then reduce the heat to low and fold in the chopped chocolate (or chocolate chips).
Step 3. Whisk and let the magic happen.
Whisk the drinking chocolate until it reaches a creamy and dense texture, adding more sugar if you like it sweeter.
Divide it among two cups, top with freshly whipped double cream and serve.
Once you have mastered the basic version, add a little twist and include one of the following add-ons:
- a pinch of salt ( sea salt flakes is even better!)
- few drops of pure vanilla extract
- a drop of your favourite liquor (Baileys, Rum and Grand Marnier all work amazingly well)
- a pinch of cinnamon
WHAT TO TOP IT WITH?
Some favourite toppings include:
- whipped cream
- extra cocoa powder
- mini marshmallows
- a drizzle of salted caramel sauce or dulce de leche
- crushed toasted hazelnuts
CAN I MAKE IT VEGAN?
If you wonder if it's possible to make creamy, rich and dairy-free hot cocoa, yes, it's totally possible!
To make a vegan version, replace the warm milk with hot water and follow the same recipe.
Skip the whipped double cream, or replace it with whipped coconut cream for a super indulgent treat.
MORE ITALIAN DESSERT RECIPES TO TRY
- Italian Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- The EASIEST Vegan Chocolate Muffins
- 2-Ingredient Nutella Cake
- Magic Italian Water Cake
- Classic Tiramisu Without Eggs - Authentic Italian Recipe
- Italian Apple Cake - Torta di Mele
- Crostata - Italian Jam Tart
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
Best Italian Hot Chocolate - Thick and Creamy
- 5 teaspoon high-quality organic cocoa powder, (20 g)
- 4 teaspoon cornstarch, (20 g)
- 4 teaspoon sugar, (25 g)
- 500 ml fresh whole milk, warmed, (17.5 fl oz)
- 120 g 70% dark chocolate, finely chopped, (4oz)
- 2 tablespoon fresh whipped cream, (optional)
- Whisk the cornstarch, cocoa and sugar in a small pot.
- Pour the warm milk into the pot.
- Heat the mixture over medium-low heat, whisking often to avoid lumps.
- Bring the hot chocolate mixture almost to a light boil, then reduce the heat to low and fold in the chopped dark chocolate.
- Whisk the hot chocolate until creamy and dense, adding more sugar if you like it sweeter.
- Divide the Italian hot chocolate among two cups, top with whipped cream and serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.