Learn how to make the famous Italian Chocolate Hazelnut Spread at home with just 5 simple ingredients. It’s easy to make, and not only is it healthier than most store-bought spreads, it tastes a million times better!
Growing up in Italy, one my favourite merenda (afternoon break in Italian) was 2 thick slices of ciabatta bread smothered with as much as Nutella as I could put on them.
Since becoming more conscious about what I put in my body, I’ve started making my own and never looked back.
This Italian chocolate hazelnut spread is the healthy homemade alternative to the world-famous spread.
It tastes even better than any commercial version, contains only simple unprocessed everyday ingredients, and a fraction of the sugar and fat.
Did I mention it tastes absolutely incredible? Chocolaty, full of nutty flavour, creamy and rich, this Italian chocolate hazelnut spread recipe is absolutely a keeper!
All You Need Is Just 5 Ingredients!
There are many chocolate hazelnut spread brands out there that call for a high amount of sugars and oils, and very little hazelnuts, but not this one.
This Italian chocolate hazelnut spread only calls for 5 simple everyday ingredients I’m pretty sure you have in your pantry already: hazelnuts, dark chocolate, organic brown sugar, olive oil, and fresh milk. YEP. That’s it!
Hazelnuts: Use whole unpeeled hazelnuts, they’re cheap and easy to peel once you roast them in the oven. To make things quicker however, you can also use hazelnut flour.
Sugar: Use unrefined organic brown sugar for a healthier result. You can also use regular sugar, and even brown confectioner sugar (I use it occasionally, and can be easily found online).
Oil: Adding a tiny little bit of oil into your hazelnut spread will add up extra richness and a smooth result. You can use a mild-flavoured oil such as a light olive oil and sunflower oil, or go for hazelnut oil for a deeper flavour. You can also skip it altogether.
Milk: High quality fresh milk is the key for a rich delicious hazelnut chocolate spread. My family and I have switched to a2 Milk™ a few years ago and we’ve never looked back. This milk is the best we have ever tasted!
If you have not tried it yet, this award-winning milk not only tastes delicious, it’s also made by cows that naturally produce milk with only A2 protein and no A1 protein, and I personally love the difference!
Dark Chocolate: High quality dark chocolate will give all the amazing chocolaty flavour in this hazelnut chocolate spread, so make sure you get the best you can.
I always opt for 70% organic dark chocolate, because it is made with only cocoa butter, cocoa beans and a hint of vanilla. Note: if you want it to be completely A1 protein free make sure your chocolate doesn’t contain traces of dairy.
How To Make Your New Favourite Spread!
Making homemade Italian chocolate hazelnut spread is easier than you think!
Once you have roasted your hazelnuts, this amazing spread comes together in less than 10 minutes.
Check below my easy to follow step-by-step recipe pictures for fool-proof results.
Place the hazelnuts on a tray and roast them for 10 minutes or until the nuts are nicely toasted. Halfway through baking time, give them a good stir and pop them back in the oven until they turn golden brown and smell delicious. Let them cool a couple of minutes then place them in a tea towel and give them a nice rub to peel them as much as possible.
It’s OK if you don’t peel all of them, but the more the better. Of course, if you have bought roasted hazelnuts (some stores sell them), you can skip this step altogether.
Place the roasted hazelnuts in powerful food processor (I use a KitchenAid) or blender (I use a Vitamix), together with the sugar of your choice (I go for organic raw brown sugar or confectioner brown sugar), and mix until smooth and the hazelnuts are reduced to a fine paste.
This may take about 2-5 minutes depending the kind of appliance you’re working with.
At this point, with the motor running, slowly add in warm melted dark chocolate, followed by warm milk, and finally a little bit of oil to thin out the spread just enough to make it smooth and spreadable as it is supposed to be.
And, that’s pretty much it! Your Italian chocolate hazelnut spread is all ready!
Store in a sterilized airtight jar and it will keep well in the fridge for about 1 week, but I bet it won’t last that long – In our household, it disappears within a couple of days!
What do You Put Italian Chocolate Hazelnut Spread On?
There are endless way to enjoy your homemade Italian chocolate hazelnut spread, but here are a few favourites:
- Eat it with a spoon (my absolute favourite)
- Spread in on toasts, croissants, brioches, banana bread, and Japanese pancakes
- Add it into milkshakes
- Make a no-bake chocolate hazelnut spread cheesecake
- Bake a 2-Ingredient chocolate hazelnut spread cake
- Make this tart inspired by famous pastry chef Pierre Hermé
- Bake delicious chocolate hazelnut spread & coconut samosas
Italian Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 120 gr raw unpeeled hazelnuts
- 120 gr organic raw brown sugar
- 80 ml mild olive oil (or hazelnut oil)
- 150 gr organic dark chocolate chopped
- 200 ml warm whole milk (I use a2 Milk)
- Spread the hazelnuts on a baking tray and roast them in a preheated oven to 350ºF (180ºC), stirring them halfway through cooking time, for 10 to 15 minutes, until the hazelnuts are golden brown.
- Place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds, then stir with a spoon until the chocolate is fully melted and keep the chocolate warm.
- Once the hazelnuts are roasted, place them in a clean tea towel and rub them to loosen the skins. Remove as much of the skins as possible then transfer the warm hazelnuts into a food processor or powerful blender.
- Add the sugar into the food processor and blend the ingredients until smooth, depending on your food processor it may take 2 to 5 minutes. Blend until you have a smooth paste.
- With the motor still running, pour the oil into the food processor, followed by the warm milk and warm chocolate and blend until smooth and fully combined.
- Pour the chocolate hazelnut spread in a large sterilized airtight jar and store in the fridge up to one week.