This is gonna be a huge hit at your next party!
Super easy to make, you won't believe it takes less than 20 mins to make this tasty asian-inspired fish balls.
Covered with a quick homemade Sweet & Sour sauce, these fish balls can be prepared using your favorite fish. I usually go for cod, haddock or seabass, cheap sustainable fish that can be easily found fresh at the market any time of the year.
Add a splash of Sriracha if you like some heat, and make sure to call all your friends and share with them these amazing fish balls with sweet & sour sauce!
Sweet and Sour Asian Fish Balls
- 9 oz fish fillet cod, seabass, salmon etc, steamed and flaked
- 1 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 2 cups ciabatta bread off the crust cubed
- milk for soaking
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ clove garlic finely minced
- all purpose flour
- ⅓ tsp orange zest & grated ginger optional
- spring onion chopped - to serve
- toasted sesame seeds
- vegetable oil
For the sweet & sour sauce:
- granulated sugar 1 cup
- juice of 1 orange
- fresh grated ginger 1 tsp
- pineapple juice ½ cup
- minced garlic 1 tsp
- soy sauce 2 tbsp
- white vinegar ¼ cup
- a splash of sriracha
- warm water ¼ cup
- cornstarch ¼ cup
- For the sweet & sour sauce:
- Put all ingredients (besides water&cornstarch) into a saucepan, and bring to a boil.
- In a small cup, dissolve corn starch into water. Stir into the sauce and simmer for 5 mins, until thickened enough. If you want it runny, add a little more of pineapple juice. Set aside when ready.
- Soak the bread cubes into the milk for 5 mins. Squeeze the bread out of milk and transfer into a large bowl.
- Add garlic, parsley, flaked fish, egg , breadcrumbs and a pinch of flour. If you like add some orange zest and grated ginger. Mix until combined and season.
- Shape the fish mixture into small balls. Arrange a plate with some flour and evenly coat each fish balls.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and when hot, throw the fish balls in and cook them until they get a golden color. You can also arrange the fishballs on a tray, brush with oil and bake for 15 min or until cooked through at 170C/350F.
- Drain on kitchen paper and transfer into a bowl. Pour some sweet&sour sauce and mix until evenly coated.
- Sprinkle with spring onion and sesame seeds, then serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.