Weekend breakfast doesn't get better than homemade easy fluffy American Pancakes - Learn all the tricks to make perfect pancakes every single time.
I'm a massive fan of quick and easy recipes when it comes to breakfast, and I would never EVER say no to American pancakes over the weekend.
Pancake day is coming up next week - Did you really think I would leave you without a new easy pancake recipe for the occasion? Of course not.
And there's no better way to celebrate than a HUGE stack of classic light and fluffy American style pancakes.
Perfect for a quick breakfast, or a weekend brunch, they are effortlessly easy to make and simple to customize. I mean, what's not to love!
Basic Pancakes Ingredients
These classic American pancakes are incredibly easy to prepare and ready in just 15 min.
Best of all, you only need simple ingredients you most probably have in your kitchen already:
- baking powder
- caster sugar
- melted butter
Although it's optional, I like to add a pinch of sea salt into the batter.
You can leave them plain, or add a couple of spoons of chocolate chips, which makes them even more delicious.
Once your pancakes are ready, top them up with anything you like.
You can't go wrong with a drizzle of maple syrup or honey. Toasted almonds, peanut butter, strawberries or blueberries are also awesome choices.
I usually opt for any fruit I have on hand and a bit of maple syrup. But when I'm feeling indulgent, I pour all over loads of chocolate sauce. YUM!
How to Make American Pancakes
Once you have all the ingredients ready, this easy pancake recipe is straightforward and totally fool-proof.
- Mix together the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Mix together the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ones. Allow the batter to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat a frying pan over a medium heat and grease it with a little butter.
- Ladle a spoonful of the batter into the pan. Repeat until you have about 5-6 pancakes onto the skillet, depending on how large is the pan.
- Gently spread the batter into small circles and cook until the edges start bubbling.
- Flip the pancakes onto the other side and continue to cook until they are golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and serve immediately with your favourite toppings.
Tips To Make The Best Pancakes
This is such a basic recipe, so just make sure you follow it accurately. Here below are some simple tricks to get guaranteed fluffy results every single time!
1. Do not Over Mix The Batter
It's super important to mix the dry & wet ingredients in two separate bowls.
Just mix all the ingredients together at the very end, to avoid the risk of over-mixing the batter.
If you over-mix the batter the pancakes will be somehow denser and flat. Not really what you expect from a fluffy American pancakes recipe, right?
2. Rest The Batter
To get that fluffy and tender result, the batter needs to rest a little time before cooking.
Resting the batter for a minimum of 5 min allows the gluten in it to "relax", resulting into smooth and delicious pancakes.
3. Set The Right Temperature
The next important thing to remember is to keep an eye on the temperature of the griddle when you cook your pancakes.
The more you cook your pancakes the dryer they become, so getting the temperature right is a MUST.
Make sure to preheat your skillet/griddle to 375F/190C.
If your griddle doesn't have a thermometer or you use a regular non stick pan, keep your temperature to "medium" and heat for about 3 minutes before adding the batter.
If you're not quite sure you have reached the right temperature, just test with a small pancake first and adjust the heat accordingly.
More Breakfast Recipes
Whether you're prepping up an awesome Sunday brunch, or just want to check some extra options, here are some favourite breakfast recipes:
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
Easy Fluffy American Pancakes
- 195 g all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2+½ tablespoon baking powder
- a pinch of sea salt
- 295 ml whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoon butter, I use homemade butter, melted
- butter, for cooking
- chocolate sauce
- In a bowl, mix together egg, milk and melted butter until combined.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and a pinch of salt together until well combined.
- Incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry ones, and mix well until just combined.
- Rest the batter for at least 5 mins, in the meantime, preheat a large no-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat (or until it reaches 190C/375F).
- Grease the pan with a little butter. With the help of an ice cream scooper or small ladle spoon, pour the batter onto the skillet. Gently spread the batter into a small circle and cook until the edges start bubbling.
- Flip on the other side and continue to cook until golden and cooked through. Repeat until all batter has been used.
- Once all your pancakes are ready, top them up with your favourite toppings and serve immediately.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.