Have you ever heard of Blondies? If you don’t know them yet, they’re the superb lighter version of classic brownies.
These Lemon Blondies are super healthy but still impressively delicious and moist. Plus, they’re completely dairy-free, so I’m sure they will make really everybody happy.
To make the blondies lighter, I replace butter with extra virgin olive oil. When it comes to cooking, EVOO is definitely a lighter alternative, and you can also use it for baking loads of sweet treats ( here are some info’s on how to correctly substitute butter with olive oil).
I’ve added vegan coconut milk yogurt , but if you don’t have any particular dietary requirement you can also use plain Greek yogurt, or whichever you like the most. Or just get inspired by one of these 7 vegan yogurts to try.
Last but not least , the star ingredient, lemons.
When you live in Sicily like I used to, it’s easy to put your hands on beautiful lemons that smell like heaven. But I’m sure you can find great lemons wherever you live. Always buy organic lemons, they smell and taste better, and are un-waxed. Shiny and super yellow lemons are normally waxed, so if you buy those scrub them very well before use.
All right, less talking and more baking now!
- 1 cup sifted All purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ tbsp salt
- ¼ tbsp baking soda
- ¼ cup dairy-free plain yogurt ( Or use coconut or Greek yogurt)
- 3 tbsp light Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- zest of 2 lemons
- 2 eggs
- For the Glaze:
- 1 round cup powdered sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- about 2-3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Mix all ingredients until you have a smooth batter. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350F/180 ?.
- Line a 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper, and pour the batter in.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- When ready, remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 mins.
- Transfer into a large cutting board, and cut the Blondies into squares or your favorite shape.
- Whisk the zest and powdered sugar, gradually pour in the lemon juice until you get a thick glaze.
- Brush the blondies surface with the lemon glaze.
- Allow to set and serve. Enjoy!