Looking for a quick, healthy meal ready in less than 30 minutes with 5 ingredients only? Look no further, these tasty lemon chicken skewers are awesomely gluten-free, dairy-free and loaded with flavour!
These lemon chicken skewers are my go-to dinner option whenever I don't feel too much like cooking, but I still want to bring a tasty, nutritious, flavor-packed meal on the table for dinner time.
They're incredibly versatile and can be made well in advance, and grilled at the last minute.
You can totally keep them simple and serve them on their own with a delicious garlicky yoghurt dip as I did.
The meat turns out unbelievably juicy and tender, and the lemon gives a vibrant and refreshing kick.
Easy, quick and loaded with fresh citrusy flavour, these lemon chicken skewers are also naturally gluten-free (and dairy-free if you skip the dip or use dairy-free yogurt).
They can be easily served as a quick dinner option, but they make an awesome and healthy choice for a BBQ, picnic or a summer party.
All You Need is Just 5 Ingredients!
What's not to love about these chicken skewers?
They're incredibly easy to make and require just 5 ingredients: chicken breast, lemon, garlic, extra-virgin olive oil and yogurt of your choice (dairy-free or not).
I deliberately decided to keep this recipe as simple as possible. But you can totally add different spices and herbs to give them a little kick.
Here are some of my favourite add-ons:
Fresh herbs: Thyme, rosemary, sage or oregano work super well.
Finely chop the herbs of your choice and add them into the bowl with the chicken before making the skewers.
Spices: Sumac, za'atar (here's a great recipe for making your own) and harissa will add more complex flavours and they all taste incredible.
Simply add about 1 teaspoon of the spice of your choice into the bowl with the chicken before making the skewers.
How to Make These Lemon Chicken Skewers
These skewers are a fantastic dinner-saver, and you only have to marinate the meat for 10 mins then grill until crispy and golden.
Add the chicken cubes into a bowl together with extra-virgin olive oil and freshly-squeezed lemon juice. Let it rest for about 10 minutes, then thread the cubes onto metal skewers, alternating with folded lemon slices.
Grill the skewers in a hot grill or cast iron skillet, for about 10 minutes, turning them half-way through cooking time. When the meat is cooked through and nicely golden brown, your skewers are all ready!
While the skewers cook, prepare the yogurt dip. Simple throw all the ingredients into a small bowl, give it a nice mix and season with salt and pepper to taste. Super easy, right?!
Lemon Chicken Skewers Cooking Tips
- If using wooden skewers instead of metal ones, soak them in water while the chicken is marinating.
for about 15 minutes.
- If you have a little more time and no dairy issues, I'd also recommend marinating the chicken for a juicer, tender meat.
- Buttermilk marinade: Arrange the chicken cubes in a container and stir in 1 cup (240 ml) of buttermilk, cover and allow the meat to marinate in the fridge for 30 min- 1 hour.
- The enzymes contained in the buttermilk help breaking down the protein in the chicken, resulting in tender meat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you make these lemon chicken skewers in advance?
Absolutely, if you're short on time, make them early in the morning, arrange them in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to grill.
Can you cook chicken skewers in the oven?
Yes, you can! Arrange the chicken skewers on a baking tray covered with parchment paper, drizzle a little olive oil on top, and bake for about 20-30 minutes.
Turn them on the other side half-way through cooking time for even cooking.
Lemon Chicken Skewers (Just 5 Ingredients!)
- 2 organic lemons
- 5 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 800 g chicken breast, cut into 2 cm cubes
For the yogurt dip:
- 200 g Greek yogurt, regular or dairy-free
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 teaspoon organic lemon zest
- sea salt and freshly-grated black pepper
- Cut one lemon into thin round slices and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, add the chicken cubes, 4 tablespoons of oil, the juice of one lemon, and a generous pinch of salt, and mix all the ingredients.
- Thread the chicken cubes onto metal skewers alternating with folded slices of lemon.
- Cook the chicken lemon skewers on a hot grill or cast iron skillet, turning them often for 5-10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the yogurt with the grated garlic, the lemon zest and 1 tablespoon of oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready, transfer the lemon chicken skewers onto a serving dish and serve them with the yogurt sauce.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.