All you need is 5 ingredients and 30 minutes to make easy and crispy oven fried chicken for the whole family! Crunchy outside and tender within, this healthier fried chicken is a winner!
This recipe is crazy easy, totally foolproof and SO delicious. I'm pretty sure your family will go crazy over this oven fried chicken as much as mine does!
WHAT'S THE SECRET FOR CRISPY OVEN FRIED CHICKEN?
To give my chicken the same crunchiness as the fried version, I've come up with a special coating mix that makes this baked chicken just as crisp as deep fried.
Plus it can be easily made gluten-free by using GF cornflakes & breadcrumbs.
The coating is made with just 5 simple ingredients: finely crumbled cornflakes, mixed with super crunchy panko breadcrumbs, a little bit of oil and a few favorite seasonings.
The result is a sticky coating that makes this crispy oven fried chicken amazingly crunchy on the outside, whilst preserving the chicken meat tender and moist within.
EXTRA TIPS FOR PERFECTLY CRISPY OVEN FRIED CHICKEN:
Even though the coating is critical for a super crunchy result, there are few extra tips that will ensure your oven fried chicken turns out perfectly every time!
Chicken: This recipe calls for mini chicken breast fillets, but it works well with whole/halved chicken breast, drumsticks and wings, but you'll need to adjust cooking time accordingly.
To ensure the chicken is moist and juicy, use evenly sized pieces, and cook the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of is 165° Fahrenheit (75° Celsius).
Buttermilk marinade: Make sure to marinate the chicken in the buttermilk for at least 2 hours, but ideally overnight. This will make your chicken super tender and the coat will stick easily without falling off.
Hot baking tray: Preheating your oven, as well as your baking tray, helps give an even browning and caramelization as soon as you pop the chicken in the oven.
This fool-proof trick will give you nice and crispy chicken without the need to turn it during the cooking time.
FAVOURITE WAYS TO SERVE OVEN FRIED CHICKEN:
Garlicky Yogurt dip: One of my favourite ways to enjoy my oven fried chicken is with a LARGE serving of sweet potato fries and this delicious garlicky yogurt dip.
Homemade Ketchup: The evergreen combo fried chicken + ketchup is loved by both kids and grown-ups, plus homemade ketchup tastes A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.
Peri Peri Sauce Dip: Fiercely spicy and rich, this dip is just the perfect match for crispy oven fried chicken!
This oven fried chicken is overly crispy on the outside, and deliciously juicy and tender inside with just enough spices to make your taste-buds rejoice.
It really has it all it takes to become your new favourite lighter fakeaway fried chicken recipe!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
Crispy Oven Fried Chicken Tenders
- 400 g boneless skinless mini chicken breast fillets or large chicken breast evenly sliced
- 250 ml buttermilk see notes for homemade buttermilk
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 120 g cornflakes
- 2 tablespoon panko breadcrumbs
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper optional
- ½ teaspoon ground garlic optional
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large casserole dish, pour the buttermilk and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken in the buttermilk and mix until evenly coated. Cover and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180 C /365 F and arrange a baking tray in the middle shelf.
- Place cornflakes, panko, olive oil, spices (if using) in a food processor, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix until finely crumbled and place in a large bowl.
- Shake off the excess buttermilk from the chicken, then dip each piece in the cornflakes mixture and coat evenly, patting with fingers to make the crumbs stick.
- Cover the hot baking tray with parchment paper, spray with a little olive oil and arrange the chicken tenders over it.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the chicken internal temperature reaches 73°C / 165°F.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and serve immediately with your favorite dips.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.