A new twist on a classic summer Italian dish without all the carbs – These Pesto Zucchini Noodles With Shrimps have the same flavors, same tastiness but totally gluten-free and so much healthier and lighter!
On summertime I try to cut back on carbs and make lighter meals. And zucchini noodles (zoodles/courgetti) are a simple and fun way to do so. I love using my spiralizer and I make zoodles multiple times per week. I really enjoy the crunchy texture of zucchini noodles, but if you don’t have this gadget, use a mandoline slicer or cheap julienne peeler.
It takes literally 7 simple ingredients to put together these Pesto Zucchini Noodles with Shrimps and Feta recipe and it’s ready in less than 15 mins. Wholesome and gluten-free, it’s just perfect for a quick dinner option on busy week-nights.
I took my old trusted Italian recipe for pasta with zucchini and shrimps, and implemented a few add-ons like cherry tomatoes and basil pesto ( but rocket pesto and red pepper pesto work well too) for extra flavor. And of course, I left the pasta in the cupboard, making this recipe 100% gluten-free.
Also, I’ve been having a bit of Greek inspiration in my recipes lately, so I added some feta cheese on top. I love the feta+zucchini combo, and used it before to make this Melon & Zucchini Carpaccio salad. You may of course leave the cheese out to keep it lighter, but trust me, it makes the whole dish even tastier!
For a light summery menu you may pair this easy pesto zucchini noodles & shrimps with a slice of this vibrant No-bake Yogurt Fruit Tart:
Or make this for dinner and treat yourself to a boozy refreshing dessert, pairing it with this Melon & Tequila cups:
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
- 3 medium large zucchini
- a glug of extravirgin olive oil
- 200gr fresh king prawns/shrimps, cleaned and deveined
- 100gr cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 tbsphomemade pesto
- 100gr feta cheese
- a bunch of fresh basil leaves
- zest of ½ lemon
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- With the help of a spiralizer or julienne peeler, make zucchini noodles.
- Fold the zucchini noodles in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water and cook for 1-2 mins.
- In the meantime, heat a large pan with a glug of olive oil. Stir in the shrimps and cherry tomatoes and cook for about 3-4 mins, until the prawns are cooked through. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
- Drain the zoodles and add fold them into the pan with the other ingredients. Mix in the pesto and remove from the heat.
- Scatter crumbled feta and basil leaves all over, and top with grated lemon zest. Serve immediately.