Awesomely healthy and fulfilling, this Spicy Sweet Potato and Kale Salad is packed with nutrients and both gluten-free and vegan.
I haven't posted a salad recipe in a long time, so I thought, what better occasion than Veganuary to share with you this awesome warm Spicy sweet Potato and Kale salad?
- sweet potato
- sesame seeds
- pumpkin seeds
- shichimi pepper
- good extra virgin olive oil
The spices and seeds bring this salad to the next level.
I usually go for Japanese shichimi to get that extra spicy kick, but you'll be totally OK using a pinch of chilli powder or hot paprika.
Smoked sea salt flakes, sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds give a nice crunchiness, which contrasts very well with the soft sweet potato.
There are multiple reasons why I love this Sweet Potato and Kale salad:
- it's heart-warming
- effortlessly easy to make
- has a great crunchy texture
- it's super versatile
- it's vegan and gluten-free
When I'm not simply enjoying it on its own, I like to serve this salad with soft-boiled eggs, roasted chicken or grilled fish ( king prawns also work amazingly well), but experiment with what you like.
You can also keep it vegetarian by throwing in some chickpeas or quinoa, or topping it with a poached egg ( my favourite way).
This dish is incredibly simple to make, and I recommend it for anyone looking for a quick, light and fulfilling meal!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
Spicy Sweet Potato and Kale Salad
- 1 large sweet potato, peleed and cubed
- 150 g kale leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- ½ teaspoon shichimi pepper, or chili powder
- smoked sea salt flakes, or regular sea salt
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Arrange the sweet potato cubes in a steamer and steam for 7 minutes
- Add in chopped kale and steam for a further 3-4 minutes
- In a large bowl, add in cooked sweet potato and kale, then fold in sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, smoked sea salt flakes and shichimi pepper.
- Arrange on a serving plate, season with a glug of extra virgin olive oil and serve
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.