Simple things are always the best. Perfect soft-boiled eggs paired with warm toast or “soldiers” make a simple yet sophisticated meal, perfect for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
The perfect soft-boiled eggs should have a creamy but firm white and a melt-in-your-mouth runny yolk.
It takes only 5 minutes to make your eggs just right for scooping them gracefully from their shell with a spoon, or directly with warm toasted bread.
Light yet packed with protein, cheap, super easy and speedy – You can’t help but love a nicely done soft-boiled egg. Soft-boiled eggs also naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, which is an added bonus.
Did I mention that to make one of the easiest meals ever invented, all you need is eggs, one pot and some water?
It really doesn’t get easier than this!
Place one or more eggs into a pot of lightly boiling water, let it gently simmer for a few minutes, remove the egg(s), place under cold running water to cool it down, and BAAM, you’re done!
Pair your perfect soft-boiled eggs with a colourful salad for a quick, well-balanced and fulfilling meal that you can enjoy literally any time of the day.
Best Tips For Perfect Soft-boiled Eggs
Making soft-boiled eggs is not a difficult task as it may seem. However, here are a few tips that can help you achieve the perfect soft-boiled eggs EVERY SINGLE TIME:
– Choose super fresh eggs, with a similar size to ensure they’re cooked evenly. I personally like to go for organic free-range eggs.
– Use eggs at room temperature. If you store eggs in the fridge, take them out one hour before cooking.
– To make sure your eggs are cooked to perfection, use a timer instead of a clock. Soft-boiled eggs are all about timing.
– Poke a hole on the top of the eggs with a needle or egg puncher before you start.
This prevents the eggs from cracking, but if you lower the heat to a light simmer when the water boils they shouldn’t crack either.
– Bring to a boil enough water to completely cover your eggs. I cover the eggs with enough water so that there is about 1 cm of water above the eggs.
– When the water boils, plunge the eggs into it with a spoon and allow 4 minutes of cooking before taking them out of the water.
– Add a dash of vinegar or lemon juice to prevent the eggs are diluted in water if by any chance the shell cracks.
– If you prepare more than 2 eggs at once, allow a few seconds more cooking time.
– If you wish to prepare them ahead to enjoy later, keep them in a water bath at 60°C.
More Breakfast Egg Recipes You’ll Love:
If you like perfect soft-boiled eggs for breakfast, I’m pretty sure you’ll also love these EGG-cellent breakfast ideas below:
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
How to Make Perfect Soft-boiled Eggs
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- bread cut into strips and toasted to serve
- Bring a pan with water to a boil.
- When water boils, lower the heat to a gentle simmer.
- Place the eggs on a slotted spoon and carefully lower them into the boiling water.
- Cook the eggs for 4 mins.
- Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and immediately place under cool running water to stop the cooking process.
- Transfer the eggs onto the egg-cups. To remove the cap, gently tap around the top with a dented knife or use an egg-cutter.
- Season your perfect soft-boiled eggs with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy straight away with toasted bread on the side.
*Post originally published in November 2015 and updated with more info!*