Ready in just 15 minutes, these tasty sweetcorn fritters are perfect for a quick vegetarian meal or appetizer!
This easy sweetcorn fritters recipe is SO simple to make!
It's ready in just 15 minutes and makes a fantastic vegetarian meal the whole family will love.
This recipe is inspired by Gordon Ramsay’s famous Thai sweetcorn fritters from his "Ultimate Cookery Course" TV show.
I made a few tweaks over the years and finally decided to share this simpler version. I promise it's sure to become a family favorite!
Sweetcorn Fritters Ingredients
These corn fritters are incredibly simple to make and call for super basic ingredients.
To make the most of this simple vegetarian dish, pick the best-quality ingredients you can!
All you need is less than 10 ingredients:
- Sweetcorn: you can use fresh, frozen or canned sweetcorn.
- Flour: I use organic wholemeal flour (wholewheat flour for US friends!), but all-purpose flour works just fine.
- Milk: you can use fresh whole milk, skimmed milk, or a vegan alternative (oat milk is my fav option).
- Spring onions:
- Red chili pepper: use fresh chili or dried chili flakes.
- Eggs: Opt for medium-large free-range organic eggs if possible.
- Baking powder: a pinch of baking powder allows the fritters to puff up a little while they cook.
- Cilantro: Cilantro or fresh coriander adds such a nice refreshing flavor, but you can substitute it with fresh parsley if you like.
- Olive oil: I like to use extra-virgin olive oil to cook the fritters, but vegetable oil works well too.
Sweetcorn Fritters Yogurt Dip
I said it before and I'll say it again, these easy vegetarian fritters taste absolutely incredible.
But they taste even better when paired with a flavorful dip.
This yogurt dip is my go-to sauce. It's refreshing, slightly spicy, citrusy, and best of all, it takes 2 minutes to make!
All you need is Greek yogurt, finely chopped red chili pepper & cilantro, lime zest, and juice.
Mix everything in a bowl and serve it with the fritters, I promise they're the perfect combo!
How To Make Sweetcorn Fritters
This sweetcorn fritter recipe is absolutely foolproof and such a breeze to make in just 15 minutes.
Here below is the step-by-step recipe with pictures.
Scroll down until the end of the post for the full printable recipe.
STEP 1. Stir flour and baking powder in a bowl, add in the egg and milk a little oil, and whisk until combined.
STEP 2. Add the sweetcorn kernels, red chili pepper, cilantro, and spring onion into the batter.
STEP 3. Stir until all ingredients are combined.
STEP 4. Pour spoonfuls of the corn fritter mixture into a skillet. Cook each fritter for 2 minutes for each side. Transfer to a plate and serve with the yogurt dip, or with homemade ketchup.
The best option is obviously fresh corn kernels whenever you find them.
But you can definitely use canned sweetcorn if you like. Make sure you drain them well and pat the kernels with kitchen paper before use.
And you can totally go for frozen sweetcorn (as I usually do). In this case, transfer the kernels to a colander and place them under cool running water for a minute, then drain and pat them dry before use.
Yes! These sweetcorn fritters freeze beautifully.
Arrange them on a baking tray covered with parchment paper and freeze for 10 minutes, then store them in a freezer-friendly container for up to 1 month.
Whenever you fancy, just take them out from the freezer, leave them on the kitchen counter for an hour (or in the fridge overnight), and reheat them in a pan for a couple of minutes.
If you want to reheat a large batch of fritters, I feel it's best to pop them in a warm oven for about 10 minutes.
Alternatively, you can reheat them in a pan with a small amount of olive oil.
More Vegetarian Recipes To Try
- Cauliflower Fritters
- The Best Air Fryer Pizza
- Authentic Italian Potato Frittata
- Vegetarian Aubergine Meatballs
- Vegetarian Lasagna with No-Cook White Sauce
- Mafaldine Pasta with Napoletana Sauce
- Orecchiette con Cime Di Rapa
- Baked Zucchini Fritters
Did You Try This Recipe?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook!
Sweetcorn Fritters with Yogurt dip
- 100 g wholemeal flour or all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 80 ml whole milk
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 240 g sweetcorn kernels, drained and dried on paper towels
For the yogurt dip:
- 240 ml greek yogurt
- ½ red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- juice & zest of ½ lime
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Create a well in the centre of the flour, and add in the beaten egg and milk.
- Whisk, gradually bringing the flour into the wet mixture until it forms a smooth and silky batter.
- Add 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and whisk the batter until smooth, adding a little more milk if necessary.
- Fold in the chopped spring onions, chilli pepper, coriander, and sweetcorn kernels into the batter and mix until just combined.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Place a spoonful of the batter per fritter into the hot pan, flattening the patties slightly with a spatula, and spacing them at least 1 inch apart.
- Cook the fritters for 2 minutes then flip them on the other side and continue cooking them an additional 1 to 2 minutes until they’re crispy and golden brown.
- Transfer the fritters, onto a plate lined with kitchen paper to absorb the oil in excess, then serve them with the yogurt dip on the side.
For the yogurt dip:
- Mix together all the ingredients in a small bowl. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed, then refrigerate until ready to serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.