This easy and creamy vegetarian mushroom and spinach pasta is a fantastic option for a quick delicious meal in just 10 minutes!
Smothered in a fresh creamy sauce and loaded with veggies, this vegetarian mushroom and spinach pasta recipe is such a simple dish sure to wow everyone at the dinner table.
It's a well-balanced healthy pasta dish, it's packed with good-for-you ingredients and absolutely easy to make, even for beginner cooks.
Did I mention it's ready in barely 15 minutes? If you're in a rush, but still want to eat a wholesome meal, this is the right recipe for you!
MUSHROOM AND SPINACH PASTA INGREDIENTS
The best part is that this spinach mushroom pasta comes together easily in about 10 minutes, making it a perfect quick dinner meal!
All you need to make this easy mushroom pasta recipe is 7 simple ingredients:
- Onion & garlic
- Crème fraîche
Pick your favorite pasta shape for this recipe! My favorite options are spaghetti, linguine, rigatoni, penne, fusilli.
Try to opt for bronze-cut pasta made in Italy (Gragnano pasta is the most popular), which is slightly coarser than usual commercial pasta and keeps perfectly al dente.
Choose your favourite mushrooms for this recipe.
You can use fresh or dried mushrooms to make this pasta sauce.
Remember that dry mushrooms need to be soaked and re-hydrated before use.
So, place them in a large bowl with warm water, and let them rest for 30 minutes, before proceeding with the recipe.
Last but not least, my secret for the best creamy mushroom and spinach pasta is the crème fraîche.
Most people like to use fresh double cream. However, trust me and use crème fraîche instead.
It adds so much more creaminess and some acidity that pairs well with the other veggies.
Alternatively, you can totally substitute it with sour cream, double cream, creme cheese, mascarpone, or whipped ricotta.
I use fresh baby spinach leaves or chopped fresh spinach leaves.
If you use frozen spinach, defrost frozen spinach in the microwave for a few minutes or warm it over low heat then drain the water in excess.
ADD EXTRA VEGGIES OR PROTEIN
This creamy mushroom pasta is extremely versatile, so you can easily customise it by adding extra ingredients if you like, here are some options:
- Leek - add finely sliced leek into the pan with the onion and mushroom for an extra veggie boost.
- Peas - add fresh or frozen peas for extra colour and nutritional boost.
- Pumpkin or butternut squash - finely cubed pumpkin or butternut squash add extra texture and a nice sweet note.
- Chili - If you like a little bit of heat, you can add a generous pinch of red chili flakes.
Non-vegetarian options include:
- Chicken– make a chicken mushroom pasta by adding cooked chicken breast bites, or leftover shredded rotisserie chicken.
- Prosciutto di Parma - for a sweet & salty note, add a few chopped slices of Parma ham.
MORE PASTA RECIPES TO TRY
If you liked this recipe, check out more favorite vegetarian pasta recipes here:
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook!
Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
Creamy Mushroom and Spinach Pasta
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely minced
- 1 garlic clove, lightly crushed
- 120 g organic spinach leaves
- 150 g white or chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 350 g pasta
- 100 g crème fraîche, I use Yeo Valley
- 2 tablespoon mild or mature cheddar, finely grated
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Cook the spaghetti in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water for 8 mins or until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pan over medium heat. Add the extra virgin olive oil, followed by the finely chopped onion, mushrooms and garlic. Cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, then add the spinach leaves and cover with a lid. Stir occasionally until the spinach leaves are tender, and season with salt and pepper. Discard the garlic and remove the pan from the heat.
- Drain well the spaghetti, reserving a ladleful of the pasta water.
- Transfer the spaghetti into the pan with the other ingredients. Stir in the crème fraîche, the cheese and the reserved cooking water if necessary.
- Heat through for a minute, mixing well all the ingredients. Season to taste with black pepper and serve immediately.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.