This Easy Shakshuka with Chickpeas is the ultimate vegetarian breakfast recipe! Naturally gluten-free, this one-pot egg recipe is totally easy to make in less than 30 mins.
* Sponsored by Tabasco, and as usual all opinions are my own*
When it comes to weekend brunch recipes, a super easy shakshuka is the sort of meal that gets you out of bed.
It's a popular energetic Middle Eastern breakfast egg dish to share, served directly from its hot skillet.
Shakshuka is basically a dish featuring poached eggs in tomato sauce ( a bit similar to the Italian Eggs in Purgatory), and it’s also incredibly easy to prepare, with simple pantry staples and a couple of fresh ingredients.
This nutrient-packed easy shakshuka recipe makes a well-balanced breakfast/brunch/lunch/dinner meal in as little as 25 minutes.
The fiery and spicy tomato and bell pepper sauce with an added chickpeas, is the perfect base for free-range eggs baked to perfection and crusty bread to soak up all the flavorful sauce.
Ready in less than 30 minutes, all you need to make this easy shakshuka with chickpeas is just a handful of everyday ingredients: bell pepper,onion, garlic, eggs, chickpeas, whole canned tomatoes, basil leaves and a pinch of cumin and paprika.
For an extra spicy punch, I've added some Tabasco Green Sauce in the mix, which goes especially well with this easy shashuka.
It's just a little bit milder than the classic Tabasco Sauce. It gives this breakfast dish a nice spicy kick without overwhelming and overpowering the other ingredients.
I'm a massive fan of spicy ingredients and the way they easily bring any dish to the next level.
This Spicy Chickpea Easy Shakshuka is packed with nutrients and works wonders both as a breakfast or a weeknight meal. And for the perfect weekend treat, pair it up with a bloody mary, it's just the perfect combo!
More Egg Recipes To Try:
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
Easy Shakshuka with Chickpeas
- 2 tbsp extravirgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped into strips
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp Tabasco Green Sauce or more to taste
- 120 gr cooked chickpeas, well drained ½ cup
- 2 cans organic whole plum tomatoes 14 oz
- 4 large free-range eggs
- Sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ 356F.
- Transfer the tomatoes to a large bowl and squeeze through your fingers to create a chunky purée. Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat a large oven-proof skillet over medium heat with the olive oil, then fold in red onion and chopped bell pepper, and cook without stirring for 4-5 min, until softened and gently browned.
- Add garlic, paprika and cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Fold in the tomatoes and stir to combine. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook for about 8 minutes, adding chickpeas half-way through cooking time. If the mixture gets to dry, pour in some of the tomato juice reserved from the can, then season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir in a couple of fresh basil leaves.
- With the help of a spoon, make a well near the edge of the pan and break an egg directly into it. Repeat with the remaining eggs, then season them with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the pan to the oven in the middle rack and cook for about 6-8 min, until the eggs are cooked through and the yolks are still runny.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with a handful basil leaves on top and serve straight away with crusty bread on the side.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in December 2016.