This creamy whipped ricotta dip is loaded with Italian flavor and comes together in just 5 minutes - Perfect for a quick appetizer or snack!
This whipped ricotta with honey is the perfect dip for parties, family gatherings during the holidays, or just snacking at home.
It's super easy to put together in 5 minutes, using the most simple ingredients, including creamy ricotta cheese and honey.
Just add a few flavorings, mix everything together, and with little effort you have a fantastic appetizer to share.
Over the years, this quick whipped ricotta dip has become my go-to appetizer for gatherings, and without fail, it disappears in no time. Trust me, it's that delicious!
You can serve this quick whipped ricotta cheese with warm toasted bread, crostini, raw veggies, grissini and much more!
Once you have mastered the basics, you can customize it with your favorite roasted nuts and/or aromatic herbs.
Ingredients for whipped ricotta with honey
Like many Italian recipes, this easy ricotta cheese dip is made with the most simple ingredients.
To make the most of this quick appetizer, pick the best-quality ingredients you can find!
Here are the 5 ingredients you need to make this whipped honey ricotta dip:
- Ricotta: Use high-quality full-fat ricotta cheese, which has the best flavor and texture, or you can even make homemade ricotta.
- Chili flakes: For a nice spicy note, feel free to add some optional chili flakes.
- Aromatic herbs: I use fresh thyme, but basil, oregano, and other herbs will work well.
- Honey: pick a high-quality honey, it will add an incredible depth of flavor to this dip.
For this recipe, I love using Fulmer Cabimon-rös honey.
This unique mountain-cream honey is a blend of a unique honey produced in the northern mountains of Spain and a hidden remote area of Hungary, where "Ámorakác"- / "Amor Honey"- honey is made in its purest form.
This special honey has a deeply aromatic and complex flavor, and pairs very well with ricotta cheese and other soft cheeses.
With over 100 years of experience, the Fulmer family is one of Europe's leading suppliers of natural honey, and they work with farmers to ethically source and produce the best honey.
The result of their continuous research is beautifully crafted unique honey blends, loaded with flavor and packed with good-for-you nutrients.
You can head over to the Fulmer shop to discover their selection of rare honey and premium honey.
This post is sponsored by Fulmer. All opinions are my own.
More topping ideas:
- Garlic: add sliced or crushed garlic for an extra layer of flavor.
- Fruit: for a fruity note, add fresh figs, or stir in a teaspoon of apricot jam, fig jam, or apple jam.
- Tomatoes: If you have a little extra time, top this delicious dip with confit tomatoes, it's such an incredible combo!
- Nuts: Toasted nuts add both texture and flavor. Almonds, pecans, walnuts or pistachio pair really well with ricotta cheese.
How to make whipped ricotta cheese
The beauty of this whipped ricotta recipe is that it's ready in just 2 minutes, and is super easy to make!
Below is the step-by-step recipe overview with pictures.
Scroll until the end of the post for the full printable recipe.
STEP 1. In a mixing bowl, whisk the ricotta until creamy and soft.
STEP 2. Season with grated garlic, lemon zest and salt, and mix to combine.
STEP 3. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with fresh herbs and optional chili flakes.
STEP 4. Drizzle honey over the dip and serve.
What to serve with whipped ricotta cheese
Enjoy this easy ricotta dip alongside toasted artisanal bread slices, crackers, grissini, crostini, or garlic bread.
Fruit and veggies such as carrots, cucumber, strawberries, apples, and celery, would also make a great addition to your spread.
For the perfect aperitivo combo, pair it with an Italian aperitivo board.
Store whipped ricotta in an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to 4 days. For best results, I recommend adding all the toppings just before serving.
If you see the dip separating a bit, just give it a good stir before serving, and if it's too cold, let it sit on the kitchen counter for 5-10 minutes before serving.
More ricotta recipes to try
If you love ricotta cheese as much as we do, check out these other ricotta recipes:
- Ricotta cheesecake
- Ricotta Meatballs
- Italian Ricotta Cookies
- Lemon Ricotta Cake
- Ricotta Gnocchi - Ready in 20 minutes!
- Spinach & Ricotta Stuffed Pasta Shells
Did You Try This Recipe?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook!
Whipped Ricotta Dip
- 250 g ricotta cheese (well drained), approx 1.1 US cup
- zest of half lemon
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon Fulmer Cabimon-rös honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes, optional
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the ricotta until creamy and lightly whipped, about 10 minutes. Alternatively, you can place the ricotta cheese in a food processor, and mix for 2-3 minutes until creamy.
- Add lemon zest, grated garlic and a generous pinch of sea salt to the ricotta cheese.
- Mix until all the ingredients are well combined, then transfer the cheese to a serving bowl.
- Drizzle honey over the top, season with thyme leaves and chili flakes, and serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.