Mozzarella In Carrozza is a super popular Italian fried mozzarella sandwich – Golden crisp on the outside and creamy melt-in-your-mouth on the inside.
Italian Mozzarella in carrozza literally means “mozzarella in a carriage”, and it’s a fried mozzarella sandwich filled with delicious molten cheese.
It was originally meant to be a simple frugal meal, made with leftover bread and mozzarella bits.
It was first created in Naples area about 200 years ago, and it’s still one of the most popular comfort foods in Italy.
Three Ways To Make Mozzarella in Carrozza
The 3 most popular Mozzarella in Carrozza versions come from Rome, Naples and Messina.
In the original and very basic version, the only ingredient between the two slices of crispy bread is pure buffalo mozzarella.
It’s incredibly creamy inside and the mozzarella is the one and only star.
The roman version adds two extra ingredients and uses fior di latte instead of buffalo mozzarella.
Either anchovies or cooked ham are added. It’s more rich and definitely bold in flavors.
In this Sicilian version, the mozzarella is trapped between two slices of bread gently brushed with béchamel sauce.
The lightly spiced sauce gives a uniquely complex flavor and extra creaminess, delivering a mozzarella in carrozza that literally melts in your mouth.
As you can see there are many ways to enjoy Italian mozzarella in carrozza and each one tastes amazingly delicious.
Whether you choose to go basic, add béchamel sauce or any other favorite ingredient, I promise these will be your new favorite comfort food.
How To Make Italian Fried Mozzarella Sandwich
The classic Italian fried mozzarella sandwich is made with 6 simple everyday ingredients:
- white sandwich bread
- mozzarella ball (or buffalo mozzarella, or fior di latte)
Then you can add one of the fillings mentioned above, such as bechamel sauce, as I did below, or ham, anchovies or any other filling you like. Your sandwich, your rules!
The recipe for fried mozzarella sandwich is pretty quick and straight-forward.
Start by slicing off the crust from two slices of classic sandwich bread.
I used white bread here, but wholemeal, multi-grain or gluten-free bread would most surely work just as great.
Brush the bread with béchamel sauce for the Sicilian version, add a slice of ham for the roman way or leave it plain for the Neapolitan.
Add 2 thick mozzarella slices (about 1-inch wide) and close the sandwich.
Arrange the flour in a bowl or plate, and dredge the mozzarella sandwich in until fully coated.
Beat the eggs with the milk in another bowl, season to taste with salt and pepper.
Coat the sandwich on all sides with the egg-wash until fully covered.
Arrange the breadcrumbs on a plate and coat the sandwich to fully seal the mozzarella inside and avoid leaks during frying process.
Dip the fried mozzarella sandwich in hot oil and deep-fry 2 mins on each side, or until crispy and golden on both sides.
Let it rest on a plate covered with kitchen paper for a couple of minutes, then serve nice and hot!
A thick hot crispy sandwich loaded with cheesy, gooey, mozzarella – Italian fried Mozzarella Sandwich is the answer to the American grilled cheese sandwich. A MUST TRY!
How To Store:
It’s best to eat this melty cheesy sandwich straight away, nice and hot.
However, you can place the prepared mozzarella sandwiches (once you have deep-fried them) in an airtight container, and store them in the freezer for up to one month.
Then, place them in a pre-heated oven and warm them up for about 10 minutes.
More Traditional Italian Recipes To Try:
Mozzarella In Carrozza - Fried Mozzarella Sandwich
- 4 white sandwich bread slices
- 150 g fresh mozzarella or buffalo mozzarella sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 120 g flour
- 120 g panko breadcrumbs
- 250 ml vegetable frying oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp bechamel sauce
- 2 ham slices
- Cut the crust off from the white sandwich bread slices.
- Brush the bread with béchamel sauce for the Sicilian version, add a slice of ham for the roman way or leave it plain for the Neapolitan. Add 2 thick mozzarella slices (about 1-inch wide) and close the sandwich.
- Arrange the flour in a bowl or plate, and dredge the mozzarella sandwich in until fully coated.
- Beat the eggs and milk in another bowl, season to taste with salt and pepper. Coat the sandwich on all sides with the egg-wash until fully covered.
- Arrange the breadcrumbs on a plate and coat the sandwich to fully seal the mozzarella inside and avoid leaks during frying process. Repeat the breading process if necessary.
- Heat the oil a in a deep heavy sauce-pan. Add more oil if needed until is enough to deep-fry the sandwich.
- Heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°F/ 170°C.
- Gently fold the sandwich in and deep-fry 2 mins on each side, or until crispy and golden on both sides.
- Drain the mozzarella in carrozza on kitchen paper and serve nice and hot. Enjoy!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in June 2015 and updated with more info.