Kick off summer season with a cool twist on a classic drink – Watermelon margarita has all the summer flavors you need to quench your thirst!
It’s friday and it’s almost summer, two very good reasons to try one of my favorite summer cocktails. This refreshing watermelon margarita has a fantastic sweet & tangy flavor combo and it’s perfect for hot days ( and nights).
I’m probably one of the biggest fans of classic margaritas, but it’s fun to give it a twist every now and then. I fell in love already long time ago with this amazing mango margarita, no wonder I’m having a big crush on this watermelon summer version right now. Sweet and refreshing, it goes down easily in a sip or two and makes you crave more (but drink responsibly, you do not want to have a margarita too many).
As delicious as it sounds, this cocktails is impressively easy to make. Blend the watermelon pulp, mix it up with lime juice, tequila and triple sec, add a little sugar and you’re good to go. I use ripe watermelon which is sweeter and allows you to cut the sugar out.
You can also make a virgin version, perfect for kids or grown-ups that don’t drink alcohol. Simply substitute tequila & triple sec with lemon/lime soda or homemade lemonade. You can even make a big-batch ahead and refrigerate until ready to serve, but I usually drink it straight up as soon as it’s ready.
This watermelon margarita is the perfect summer cocktail for any occasion. Make a large pitcher to share with all your friends at the next bbq’s, 4th of July celebrations, outdoor parties and even picnics!
- 1½ pounds seeded watermelon
- 8 ounces silver (blanco), 100 percent agave tequila
- 2 tbsp agave nectar or sugar (optional)
- juice of 8 limes
- 2 ounces triple sec
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 3 cups ice cubes
- salt&sugar to decorate glasses
- 6 lime slices to decorate
- In a food processor blend the watermelon until pureed, then strain to a sieve.
- In a shaker or a jar, mix together ice cubes with tequila, triple sec and lime juice. Add a little sugar if desired.
- Add in watermelon juice and shake all ingredients until combined.
- Brush with salt & sugar a martini glass and strain the margarita in . Decorate with lime and serve immediately.