These Mediterranean Zucchini Boats with Tomato and Mozzarella make a fun vegetarian option perfect to enjoy on warm days.
These Zucchini boats are a fantastic dish to prepare for any occasion, perfect for a party or barbecue, but just as great for a simple everyday meal or side dish
All you need to make this easy recipe is 20 minutes and 4 simple ingredients.
Fresh tomato, mozzarella, and basil, all come together to brighten up the zucchini, which often have a plain taste.
Zucchini boats are a clever way to enjoy this great veggie, plus they kinda have the same ingredients as pizza. So, I'm pretty sure even your kids will love them.
Ready in less than 30 min, these Stuffed Zucchini Boats make a super easy and quick weeknight option.
They can be adapted with what you have on hand, are packed with nutrients, and surprisingly filling too.
If you're feeling adventurous, try topping your boats with Parma prosciutto, crispy pancetta, or bacon. They're also really good topped with smoked mackerel or salmon.
More Summer Recipes To Try:
Barley Pea Pesto Salad with Grana Padano and Prosciutto
Authentic Italian Potato Frittata
Mediterranean Zucchini Boats
- 2 medium-large zucchini
- 6 cherry tomatoes, thickly sliced
- ½ garlic clove, finely minced
- 150 g fresh mozzarella, pat dry and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- freshly cracked sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- Cut each zucchini in half lenghtwise, then carefully scoop out the center of the zucchini.
- Place the zucchini in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water and blanch for 2 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Place the cherry tomatoes into a bowl, season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the garlic, basil leaves and half the amount of the extra-virgin olive oil.
- Arrange the tomato slices nicely on top of the zucchini, leaving some little gaps.
- Drizzle with the remaining olive oil a baking sheet, place the zucchini on top and bake in a preheated oven to 400°F/200°C for 8-10 mins. Alternatively place them on a hot grill and grill for 3 mins per side.
- Add the chopped mozzarella between the tomato slices.
- Place back in the oven under the broiler now, and grill for 2 mins or until mozzarella has melted and gets a nice golden crust.
- Sprinkle with optional fresh basil leaves and freshly cracked black pepper, and serve
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Really looking forward to making these this week!
The Petite Cook says
I love them! It's one of my fav vegetarian recipes 🙂 You can also try with different cheese, feta goes very well too.
chef mimi says
YUM!! They scream summer!