These Mediterranean Zucchini Boats with Tomato and Mozzarella make a fun vegetarian option perfect to enjoy on warm days.
These Zucchini boats are a fantastic dish to prepare for any occasion, perfect for a party or barbecue, but just as great for a simple everyday meal/side. All you need to make this easy recipe is 20 mins and 4 simple ingredients.
Fresh tomato, mozzarella and basil, all come together to brighten up the zucchini, which often have a plain taste (and are mostly hated by kids). It’s a clever way to enjoy this great veggie, plus they kinda have the same ingredients as pizza. So, I’m pretty sure anyone will love those cute tasty boats.
Get ready to make loads of them, they sell out very quick!
These loaded zucchini boats make an easy, quick and satisfying meal for Meatless Mondays, and a great everyday vegetarian option for your lunchbox/dinner.
- 2 medium-sized zucchini
- 6 cherry or piccadilly tomatoes, thickly sliced
- ½ garlic clove, finely minced
- 5oz(150gr) fresh mozzarella, drained and finely chopped
- 1tsp+1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- extravirgin olive Oil, to taste
- freshly cracked sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- Cut each zucchini in half horizontally, then carefully scoop out the center of the zucchini.
- Place the zucchini in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water and blanch for 3-4 mins. Drain and pat dry.
- Place the cherry tomatoes into a bowl, season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the garlic, 1 tsp of chopped basil and a splash of olive oil. Gently mix.
- Spoon the tomato mixture on top of each zucchini leaving some gaps.
- Drizzle with olive oil a baking sheet, place the zucchini on top and bake in a preheated oven to 400F (200C) for 8-10 mins. Alternatively place on a hot grill and grill for 3 mins per side.
- Add the chopped mozzarella in between the tomatoes.
- Place back in the oven under the broiler now, and grill for 2 mins or until mozzarella is melted and gets a nice golden crust.
- Sprinkle with the remaining basil and freshly cracked black pepper.