This Sweet Potato Chicken Cottage Pie is a healthier version of one of the most popular British comfort foods – Ready in 30 min and veggie-loaded!
Traditional British Shepherd’s pie or cottage pie is basically a meat pie topped with a crust of mashed potato.
As good as it is the traditional version, I’ve completely fallen in love with this healthier Sweet Potato Chicken Cottage Pie recipe.
Plus, it’s awesomely gluten-free, in case you have dietary requirements you need to follow.
This heart-warming Sweet Potato Chicken Cottage Pie is super easy to put together.
It takes less than 30 min to make start to finish, and only requires a few simple ingredients such as:
- chicken breast
- sweet potato
- gluten-free flour
- vegetable stock
- fresh aromatic herbs
How to Make a Healthier Cottage Pie
Instead of using minced beef/lamb, I opted for chicken breast bites, to add some chunky texture to the mix (you can go for chicken mince too).
You may use your favourite veggies for the filling. Don’t like mushrooms & peas?
Opt for broccoli, carrots, green beans, or all three.
Don’t fancy leeks? Switch for onions or shallots. Just use as many veggies as you like – the sky is the limit!
To make things lighter and healthier, instead of using just butter, I usually go for a little homemade butter and a bit of extra-virgin olive oil.
I’ve also switched the heavy cream traditionally used for the white sauce, with vegetable stock and just a tiny bit of milk (which you can omit completely if you want).
Perfect all winter-long, dig into a deliciously creamy white sauce with juicy chicken, topped with a fluffy sweet potato mash – This Sweet Potato Chicken Cottage Pie is comfort food at its best!
More British Recipes To Try
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
Sweet Potato Chicken Cottage Pie
For the filling:
- a glug of extra virgin olive oil
- 400 g skinless chicken breast cut into chunks
- 150 gr fresh mushrooms chopped
- 1 leek finely sliced
- 1/2 tbsp homemade butter
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 1+1/2 tbsp rice flour
- 100 ml semi-skimmed fresh milk warmed
- 100 gr frozen peas
- handful fresh thyme leaves chopped
- sea salt and pepper
For the topping:
- 750 g sweet potatoes cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp semi-skimmed fresh milk warmed
- sea salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 180C / 350F.
- Heat a large skillet with the olive oil over medium heat. Fold in chopped leek and mushrooms and cook until slightly soften, about 2-3 min. Add in the chicken breast chunks, and brown the meat for a further 2 min on both sides. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in butter and frozen peas, and sprinkle the flour all over the mixture. Gently pour in the stock while mixing, then pour the milk in too. Add thyme leaves, lower the heat and simmer for about 10 min, until the sauce has thickened and reaches a creamy consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While the sauce cooks, steam the sweet potato chunks for about 10 min, until soften. Transfer into a large bowl, and mash with a potato masher, slowing incorporating the milk in. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the chicken filling is cooked through, transfer to an ovenproof dish, top with the mash and ruffle with a fork.
- Bake the sweet potato and chicken cottage pie for 10 mins, until slightly browned and crunchy on top ( you may also put it under the grill to brown if you like).
- Serve nicely hot straight from the oven.