A Healthy Seafood Paella that’s easy to put together with just 10 ingredients. This Spanish family favorite only takes less than 30 min to make and is great to enjoy all-year-round!
Spanish Paella has been on my to-do list for ages, but I've never had the courage to venture into making this traditional recipe.
To my surprise, making the real traditional paella is not that difficult as I thought, but it does require quite few ingredients and some time.
This super simplified version instead, only takes a mere half an hour to prepare and makes the most of just a bunch of ingredients, so you don't have to jump off to the next flight to Valencia ( where you can find the best paella ever).
For this Easy Seafood Paella, I've used very simple ingredients:
- Italian risotto rice ( a great substitute for traditional paella rice Bomba)
- frozen squid tubes and whole raw Black Tiger prawns
- garden peas
- tinned tomatoes
- olive oil
- aromatic herbs
- Spanish saffron
To make this Healthy Seafood Paella all you need is one pot - it's best to use the traditional paella pan, but a cast-iron skillet will do the job just fine.
Start by softening the onion, then add in tomatoes, saffron, and rice. Give it a nice mix, pour in the stock and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed.
Try not to over-stir the rice, remember paella is not risotto and you're aiming for a tender, but not creamy result. So you should avoid stirring if possible.
Seafood and peas are added when the rice is almost tender, to make sure they don't overcook and become chewy.
Once paella is ready, I like to sprinkle some fresh parsley on top and drizzle with a squeeze of lemon, a refreshing touch that gives paella the extra zing that makes it absolutely irresistible.
Serve it family-style directly from the pot and pair it with a good wine if you like.
No need to catch a flight to Spain, when you can make this super Easy Healthy Seafood Paella at home wherever you are in the world!
I really hope you give this easy and healthy seafood paella a try. If you do, make sure to comment here below and share with me your thoughts and your favorite ingredients to use. Don’t forget to snap a picture, tag it #thepetitecook and #PowerofFrozen and share it with me and all your friends on Instagram!
Easy Healthy Seafood Paella
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp saffron
- 300 g Bomba or Carnaroli/Arborio rice
- 1 tin whole plum tomatoes deseeded
- 1 l hot fish or vegetable stock
- 200 g frozen garden peas
- 200 g frozen squid tubes defrosted
- 200 gr frozen Black Tiger prawns defrosted
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- a bunch of fresh parsley chopped
- 1 lemon cut in wedges (optional)
- Heat the oil in a paella or cast iron pan, add onion and cook for 5 mins without browning.
- Add in the tomatoes, then stir in the saffron and rice and mix well.
- Pour in the stock and bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 mins, stirring as little as possible. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Tip in the peas and cook for 5 mins, then stir in the seafood to cook through for a final 3-5 mins cooking or until rice is cooked.
- Check for seasoning and sprinkle fresh chopped parsley on top.
- Serve immediately directly from the pan with lemon wedges.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.