This Buttermilk Oven Fried Chicken Burger is LOADED with flavor, packed with veggies and smothered in spicy sriracha mayo – An awesome healthier burger that’s just crazy good and SO easy to make!
Looking for a brand new burger recipe that screams comfort food but is actually healthy-ish?
This Buttermilk Oven Fried Chicken Burger definitely fits the bill! A crunchy bun filled up with super crispy chicken tenders, topped with a spicy sriracha mayonnaise, and packed with fresh veggies toppings – This burger is one of the most easy and tasty fakeaway meals to share with your family and friends.
Magic behind Buttermilk Oven Fried Chicken
If you’ve been following along with me, you know that I’ve fallen head over heels in love with this incredibly crispy oven fried chicken, it’s just so easy to make and so much healthier!
Plus, no flour or eggs required, only a buttermilk marinade and a simple coating made with easy ingredients.
I like to make my own as it literally takes 5 minutes. All you have to do is mix the milk with lemon juice and allow to set for 15 minutes. Since I’m also dairy-intolerant, making my own buttermilk means I can also make sure it’s naturally free-from the A1 protein, so I always use easy-to-digest a2 Milk™. Since switching to a2 Milk™ my symptoms have reduced significantly. The award-winning a2 Milk™ is pure cows’ milk, which is naturally free from the A1 protein, so it’s a lot easier for me to digest and gentle on my sensitive tummy.
Back to the crispy chicken tenders. The secret is a special coating mix that makes this baked chicken just as crisp as deep fried. It comes together in a few seconds, all you have to do is mix together cornflakes, panko breadcrumbs, a little bit of oil and a couple of optional seasonings. I get the tenderloins into the buttermilk marinade the night before (it takes 3 minutes really!), and then coat & bake them whilst I prep the rest of the burger ingredients. It all comes together easily in 30 minutes max, start to finish.
I also like to make a big batch of this oven fried chicken, so I can enjoy it on its own, then use the extra pieces for making this AWESOME chicken burger.
Spicy Mayo Sauce That is Totally Addicting
Delicious homemade mayonnaise ( but you may use good-quality store-bought) with a fiery spicy kick, makes the perfect oven fried chicken burger companion. You can choose the amount of heat you want, I personally don’t like extra spicy things so I’ve kept mine on the low level, but you can definitely make it as spiced as you like.Simply mix garlic, mayonnaise, and sriracha sauce in a small bowl, add finely chopped pickles if you like, cover and chill until needed.
Go Crazy With The Toppings
I’ve kept my Oven Fried Chicken Burger really simple using super common toppings such as lettuce, tomatoes and red onion, and served it with sweet potato fries. BUT, that doesn’t mean that you have to!
Avocado, mushrooms, slaw, mustard, homemade ketchup, or any other of your favorite toppings and sides will surely work well, just customize your burger to suit your tastes and make it your own!DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
**This post is sponsored by a2 Milk™. I truly recommend this brand and I’m really proud to collaborate with their team. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Petite Cook!**
- 150 gr homemade mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 50 gr pickels, finely chopped (optional)
- 125 ml buttermilk ( *see notes for easy-to-digest a2 Milk buttermilk)
- 200 gr boneless skinless mini chicken breast fillets (1 large chicken breast evenly sliced)
- 125 ml buttermilk
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 60 gr cornflakes
- 1 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ground garlic (optional)
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 bakery burger buns, halved
- 1 large salad tomato, sliced
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- a handful of fresh lettuce leaves
- For the spicy mayo: place all ingredients in a small bowl and mix until combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the oven fried chicken: In a large bowl, pour the buttermilk and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken in the buttermilk and mix until evenly coated. Cover and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180 C /365 F and arrange a baking tray in the middle shelf.
- Place cornflakes, panko, olive oil, spices (if using) in a food processor, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix until finely crumbled and place in a large bowl.
- Shake off the excess buttermilk from the chicken, then dip each piece in the cornflakes mixture and coat evenly, patting with fingers to make the crumbs stick.
- Cover the hot baking tray with parchment paper, spray with a little olive oil and arrange the chicken tenders over it, leaving a bit of space for the buns.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the chicken internal temperature reaches 73°C / 165°F.
- Over the last 5 minutes of baking time, pop the halved buns into the baking tray together with the chicken, and bake until crisp.
- To assemble: Divide the chicken tenders and vegetable toppings among the 4 burgers, top with spicy mayo and serve immediately.