Crispy, cheesy baked mozzarella sticks - Easy, simple vegetarian appetizer ready in 30 min, and so much healthier than traditional fried mozzarella sticks.
These baked mozzarella sticks are what I like to make on a movie night or when I have friends over for drinks.
These tasty mozzarella bites disappear within seconds and are effortlessly easy to put together.
Crunchy on the outside, and deliciously melt-in-your-mouth on the inside, they are so simple, requiring just 6 ingredients, and come together in just 30 mins.
Easy-peasy and SO tasty!
Once you try this homemade healthier version of mozzarella sticks I promise you'll never buy store-bought cheese sticks again.
Making baked mozzarella sticks at home is easier than you can imagine. Most importantly you know exactly what goes in.
How to Make Mozzarella Sticks
All you need to make them is 6 simple ingredients:
- panko breadcrumbs
- all-purpose flour
- extra-virgin olive oil
Let's start by cutting the fresh mozzarella into sticks, and arrange them on a baking tray covered with parchment paper.
You can opt for a mozzarella block, which is often used to top pizza, or fresh mozzarella balls.
If using the latter, make sure to drain very well the mozzarella, then cut into sticks and pat them dry with kitchen paper.
Place the mozzarella sticks in the freezer, while you put together the rest of the ingredients.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs together with a little water.
In a second bowl arrange the flour and in a third bowl mix together panko breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and paprika.
Dip the mozzarella sticks first in flour, then in the egg mixture, and finally into seasoned breadcrumbs, making sure each stick is evenly coated.
You can help yourself out with two spoons or my weapon of choice, chopsticks.
Repeat the process one more time, until your sticks are completely coated in breadcrumbs ( this will prevent leaking while baking).
Arrange the mozzarella sticks on a non-stick baking tray covered with parchment paper and spray them with a little oil on all sides.
Place the sticks in the oven and bake until crispy and golden brown, it should take about 10 minutes, depending on your oven.
Serve them immediately whilst they're still hot and gooey, with your favorite dips on the side.
What To Serve Mozzarella Sticks With
Or simply serve them as they're, these tasty bites are just as delicious on their own.
If you're looking for easy-to-make party food or a simple vegetarian starter for the holiday parties, this is it!
These crispy baked mozzarella sticks will make a showstopping treat to share with family and friends.
Here are some other favourite party food ideas you should definitely try:
- Baked Camembert for more cheesiness
- Make small individual homemade Italian pizza
- Potato Frittata cut into bites
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
Easy Baked Mozzarella Sticks
- 400 gr mozzarella block or well-drained mozzarella balls (1 lb)
- 360 gr panko breadcrumbs (1-1/2 cups)
- 240 gr all-purpose flour (1 cup)
- 2 eggs + 2 tbsp water well beaten
- 1/2 tsp paprika mild or spicy
- sea salt and black pepper
- spray cooking oil I use extravirgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F and arrange the baking rack in the upper third of the oven.
- Cut the mozzarella into 1-inch large sticks.
- Arrange the mozzarella sticks on a baking tray covered with parchment paper, lightly spray them with oil, and place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs together with the water. In a second bowl arrange the flour and in a third bowl mix together panko breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Dip the mozzarella sticks first in the flour, then in the egg mixture, and finally into the seasoned breadcrumbs, making sure each stick is evenly coated. You can help yourself using two spoons or chopsticks.
- Repeat the process one more time, making sure your sticks are completely coated in breadcrumbs (this will prevent leaking while baking).
- Arrange the mozzarella sticks on a non-stick baking tray covered with parchment paper, and spray them with a little oil on all sides.
- Bake them for 5-7 minutes, then turn them on the other side and cook them for another 5 minutes until crispy and golden brown. Serve immediately while still hot and gooey.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.