Forget the canned stuff, Homemade Cream of Mushroom soup is a MILLION times better and easier than you possibly thought.
Did you know the world famous condensed Cream of Mushroom was first created almost 100 years? It’s amazing it’s still so popular and loved these days. This soup is an evergreen classic, and one of the most heart-warming meals to dive in all-winter long.
You know I’m a big fan of made-from-scratch foods, and 99% of recipes on The Petite Cook don’t call for processed ingredients ( I even shared homemade versions of ketchup & mayo), and cream of mushroom soup is one of my favorite things to make at home. So, I finally wanted to share with you this super easy-peasy recipe.
As much as it’s easy to just go for the can, believe me, this recipe really requires little effort, and it’s SO much better than any store-bought counterpart. Best of all, you know exactly what goes inside.
Homemade cream of mushroom soup takes just 20 min to prepare (less than it would take you to go to your local store and buy the tinned stuff), and only 8 simple ingredients. Yes, only eight!
Chestnut mushroom, shiitake mushroom and vegetable stock: these are the star ingredients you need to make this soup. Just add in onion, garlic, butter ( I like to use homemade butter), fresh double cream and you’re good to go.
To keep it awesomely vegetarian, I opted for vegetable stock, but you may use chicken stock for a deeper flavor. Shiitake mushroom are optional, but their lovely nutty flavor is such a worth-for addition. If you can’t find it, substitute with an equal part of simple white mushroom. I didn’t try it yet, but I’m pretty sure porcini mushroom would also make a fantastic replacement.
Watch The Video Recipe:
You may add a little less or a little more cream at the end, to reach your desired consistency. The amount of cream I used will give you a delicious soup that is a meal on its own. Less cream will give you a nice condensed cream of mushroom soup, which you can use to add more flavor to other recipes. Tossing a couple of spoons with pasta for a creamy savoury sauce, or mixing it together with some stock to upgrade a super easy chicken piccata, are just few of my favourite ways to use the condensed version.
You’ll never go back to the canned stuff once you try this super easy Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup – Ready in just 20 min and with tons of flavor, it’s the best soup EVER!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
- ¼ cup / 60gr butter (I use homemade)
- 1 gold or white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12oz / 350gr chestnut mushroom, sliced
- 5oz / 150gr shiitake mushroom, sliced
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups / 480 ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 4oz / 120ml fresh double cream
- a handful of chopped parsley, to garnish (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- In a large pot, met the butter over medium-low heat. Add in onion, garlic and mushrooms, and stir-fry, stirring occasionally, until soften, about 5 min.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pot, and stir to heavenly coat the mushrooms. Season to taste.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 min.
- Reserve ¼ cup of mushrooms and set aside. Transfer the remaining mixture into a food processor and pulse until creamy and smooth.
- Return the mixture into the pot, pour in double cream and season to taste. Continue to cook and reduce for another 5 min, or until desired thickness is reached.
- Pour in the reserved cooked mushrooms, sprinkle with fresh parsley and season with freshly cracked black pepper.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.