A healthy take on a British classic, this quick no-mayo Salmon and Prawn Cocktail is the perfect starter for all seafood lovers out there!
The king of classic festive starters, prawn cocktail has been around the holiday tables for as long as about forty years, and we're still not tired of it.
Whilst the traditional recipe is simple and fantastic in its own way, I thought it would be fun to give it a little healthy twist.
It makes a perfect starter for New Year's Eve dinner party, or for any other festive occasion.
It's also quick enough to be served with a large salad for a speedy lunch, and it's naturally gluten-free.
This salmon and prawn cocktail is pimped up with crunchy hidden veggies, for an extra income towards your five a day.
All you need is very simple wholesome ingredients, and surprise surprise, no mayo required.
Back to the recipe, this salmon and prawn cocktail literally takes just 15 min to make.
Mix together creamy ricotta, ketchup, lemon zest, Worcestershire, yogurt, salt and pepper.
If you like it spicy, add a drop of two of Tabasco for a nice heat.
Trow in smoked salmon, cooked prawns, cucumber and baby gem lettuce (if you have zucchini at hands they're awesome as well) and mix everything together.
Chill in the fridge for a bit, then spoon over martini glasses and serve straight away to your guests accompanied by some bubbles or a refreshing Spritz.
If you're looking for an elegant and quick starter for your next dinner party, look no further - This Salmon and Prawn Cocktail makes a healthy and showstopping appetizer to please all seafood lovers!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
Salmon and Prawn Cocktail
- 200 g/8oz cooked peeled king prawns
- 150 gr smoked salmon
- 1 large cucumber
- 4 baby gem lettuce
- sea salt and black pepper
For the sauce:
- 5 tbsp ricotta well beaten
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 1.5 tbsp ketchup
- zest of 1 lemon
- splash Tabasco sauce
- splash Worcestershire sauce
- sea salt and black pepper
- For the sauce: in a large bowl mix together the ricotta,yogurt and ketchup. Whisk in the Tabasco, Worcestershire, sprinkle with lemon zest and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chop the salmon and prawns into bits, reserving 4 prawns to decorate later. Finely cube the cucumber and chop into strips the baby gem lettuce.
- Fold all the ingredients into the sauce and mix everything together. Then chill in the fridge for 15 min.
- Spoon the salmon and prawn cocktail into 4 martini glasses and decorate each one with a king prawn and a baby gem lettuce leave. sprinkle with extra black pepper and serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.