This Tequila Lime Chicken is packed with vibrant flavours, dairy-free, gluten-free and ready in just 30 minutes - A fun Mexican-style dish perfect for friday night and week-night meals alike!
We eat a lot of chicken at home. Healthy, inexpensive and easy to dress up with your favorite flavors, some of my favorite recipes usually involve chicken.
From the famous British Coronation chicken salad or grilled Thai-style chicken, to awesomely good zucchini & chicken nuggets, there're tons of different ways to use this lean protein.
Plus, you get plenty of nutrients by eating poultry. If you’re looking for a great source of light, low fat protein, this bird fits the bill.
Chicken breast is high in protein and low in fat and calories, making an ideal choice for weight maintenance and to keep you energy levels up.
Did you know chicken is also one of those foods that raise your serotonin levels naturally?
I'll tell you what, this tequila lime chicken definitely raised mines - It's SUCH a feast for your eyes and tastebuds!
Did I mention this dish is super versatile? Perfect to serve at a fancy dinner party, or to celebrate Cinqo de Mayo or for a quick and delicious weeknight meal.
Packed with vibrant flavours, this tasty tequila lime chicken breast is ready in just 30 min and it happens to be also dairy-free and gluten-free.
Make sure you marinate the meat for at least 15 mins, but best for 2 hours. If I have a little more time, I usually marinate it the night before, which makes lunch and dinner time prep a breeze the next day.
Tequila, red chilli, honey and simple spices such as paprika and cayenne pepper, come together to make a chicken marinade that's excitingly flavorsome.
Tequila Lime Chicken Cooking Tips
I replace the lime juice with the zest in the chicken marinade, because I find that citrus juice makes somehow the chicken less tender. But feel free to add a little lime or lemon juice into the marinade if you like.
I like to squeeze a little fresh lime juice over the chicken before it hits the table for a nice citrusy kick.
For a nicely char-grilled chicken use a bbq or a helpful electric grill ( I often use this one, which comes with a handy integrated meat-thermometer). You may also opt for a cast iron grilling pan.
Alternatively, sear the breast on an oven-proof skillet pan. Simply pan-fry the chicken on both sides until slightly browned.
Then transfer the skillet into the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the chicken is crispy and nicely browned.
What To Serve With Tequila Lime Chicken
There are endless ways to serve this awesome tequila lime chicken.
Top it with freshly chopped cilantro and a generous spoon of easy fresh pineapple salsa as shown above, or try my go-to mango salsa. It's also delicious with a spoon of guacamole sauce all over the top.
I also like to serve it with this nutritious quinoa salad, and it's just as awesome with this easy french ratatouille.
However you serve it, I promise this tequila lime chicken is super juicy and tender and exploding with flavours!
Tequila Lime Chicken
- 2 skinless free-range organic chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, for grilling
For the marinade:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup good-quality gold tequila
- zest of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon light honey
- 1 tablespoon hot or mild paprika powder
- 1 thai red chilli, finely minced
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- a generous pinch of sea salt and cayenne pepper
- pineapple salsa
- lime wedges
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Whisk all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Add the chicken breasts into the marinade, and stir well to combine.
- Divide the chicken into two zip-log bags, and pour half the marinade on each breast. Close the bags and marinate in the fridge for 15 minutes but best for 2 hours.
- Drizzle with oil a grill pan, and heat until medium-high heat.
- Place the chicken breasts on the grill and spoon any remaining marinade from the bag over top. Grill, covered, for 4 minutes one one side. Turn the breast and cook a further 5 mins.
- Serve immediately with lime wedges on the side, and top with fresh cilantro and a spoonful of pineapple salsa.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in October 2016 and updated with more info and improved recipe.
Timothy Owens says
Wow! This is a great recipe, and that pineapple salsa really made it interesting. Fun to make too! Thanks for sharing, definitely going to remember this one.
Thank you so much Timothy! Honestly, it has quickly become a family favorite, and THAT salsa... I could put it on anything 😀
Thank you Andrea ! Perfect for a week dinner. Keep on rocking !
Thank you so much! i'm making it almost every week and lovin' it 🙂