Italian hot chocolate is rich, creamy and decadent. Half-way between a drink and a dessert, it’s the most delicious way to warm yourself up this winter.
As the weather gets chiller and winter is almost ready to kick in, I love to spend more time at home. One of my favorite thing to do is to invite friends over, and enjoy all together a big a mug of italian hot chocolate.
Smooth, uber rich and so indulgent, italian hot chocolate is hands down the best hot chocolate in the world. It has nothing to do with the watery, sad version often served at bars and cafeterias around. I’ve tasted (and tested) hot chocolate in Japan, France, Germany and a bunch of other places, but not once I was handed over something nearly as close as the decadent italian version. On the other hand, the most amazing hot chocolate I’ve ever tasted is served at Caffè Rivoire, right in front of the famous Piazza della Signoria in Florence, Italy. If you happen to be in the neighborhood, make sure not to miss it.
This heart-warming drink is ready in just 10 mins start to finish and only requires 5 simple and easy to source ingredients: fresh organic milk ( feel free to use whole or part-skimmed), high-quality cocoa powder ( I like to use the Madagascar variety), 70% high-quality organic dark chocolate, sugar and cornflour.
Cornflour is the secret ingredient that makes this hot chocolate so dense and rich, but goes completely undetectable over your palate. To bring out the best chocolatey flavor be sure to use the highest quality chocolate you can find. It does make a HUGE difference.
Some o my favorite brands include Pascha Chocolate and Alter Eco. But there are lots of good brands out there, just remember that good chocolate should be made only with cocoa mass, cocoa butter and sugar (some add vanilla too).
You can add extra aroma like a pinch of pure vanilla extract, a drop of your favorite liquor, or spice it up a little with a pinch of cinnamon. Top it up with whipped cream, extra cocoa powder, mini marshmallows, a drizzle of salted caramel sauce, crushed toasted hazelnuts, or anything else you may dream of
Deliciously warm and thick, italian hot chocolate is the ultimate luxury treat to satisfy your chocolate cravings – The perfect cozy drink you’d love to drink all winter long!
Watch How To Make Italian Hot Chocolate:
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
- 500ml / 17.5fl oz warm milk ( whole or part-skimmed)
- 4 tsp / 20gr cornflour(cornstarch)
- 5 tsp / 25gr high-quality cocoa powder
- 4 tsp / 20gr white or demerara sugar
- 120gr / 4oz 70% dark chocolate, very finely chopped
- whipped cream, to serve (optional)
- Pour warm milk in a large pot. Whisk in sifted cornflour, cocoa and sugar.
- Warm the mixture over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally to avoid lumps.
- Bring almost to a light boil, then reduce heat to minimum and fold in chopped chocolate.
- Whisk the hot chocolate until creamy and dense, adding more sugar if you like it sweeter.
- Pour into two mugs, top with whipped cream and serve. Enjoy!