Matcha Green Tea & Pistachio Muffins – The best way to celebrate St Patrick’s day is adding a touch of green on your daily muffin income!
It’s easy to get carried away with St Patrick’s Day celebrations, the Irish holiday is one of the most fun days of the year – Guinness, music and green everywhere.
Maybe too much green. In the attempt of making everything more stpatrick-ly, places from Pinterest to bakeries around the city have been making indiscreet use of green food coloring on muffins, cakes, smoothies, anything eatable really. The results are beautiful bright green sweet treats, but I prefer to get the greenness from natural resources – aka food.
To celebrate St Patrick’s day, I’ve baked the most delicious Matcha Green Tea and Pistachio Muffins. Moist, crunchy and rich, thanks to the Japanese green tea, the muffins have a beautiful and natural green color. I recommend organic Matcha tea, because it’s produced without any artificial fertilizers, herbicides or pesticides.
Matcha is the king of green teas, not only for the bright color but for the healthy benefits that no other tea has. This Japanes green tea is made of straight, stoneground tea leaves and has a powerful arsenal of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and amino acids.
To customize these yummy Matcha & pistachio muffin in perfect St Paddy’s style, I’ve used my Cricut Explore, this machine always amaze me with the fantatic DIY and craft projects that helps me put together. If you have a Cricut machine already -or you’re planning to have in your very near future-, you can download the design project I’ve used, and make these beautiful shamrocks with a tiny cute center heart-cut.
Pair Matcha with crunchy pistachio, and a handful of easy ingredients to make a quick and healthy St Patrick’s day snack. These yummy Matcha & Pistachio Muffins are great for early breakfast celebrations and just as good for all-year-long afternoon coffee breaks!
I really hope you try these deliciously healthy muffins. If you do, please leave a comment below and let me know how you enjoyed it, and what are your favorite muffin recipes. And don’t forget to snap a picture, tag it #thepetitecook and share it with me on Instagram!
- 140g butter, softened
- 140g muscovado sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 140g self-raising flour
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 tbsp Matcha green tea
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 very ripe banana, mashed
- 4 tbsp pistachio, chopped plus extra for decorating
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then slowly add the eggs with a little flour.
- Fold in the remaining flour, banana, matcha tea, pistachio, orange zest, a pinch of salt and baking powder.
- Pour the mixture into a prepared muffin tin, filling almost to the top each mould. Top each muffin with extra chopped pistachio and a pinch of caster sugar.
- Bake for about 5 mins at 425F/200C, then lower to 360F/180C and continue to bake for 10 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 10 mins, then remove to a wire rack and serve. Enjoy!