Looking for a scrumptious, but healthy treat? These quick and healthy sweet potato waffles are super versatile and can make a great breakfast or lunch!
These sweet potato waffles are so easy to prepare, you'll be making them all-year-long.
These healthy sweet potato waffles are very basic, requiring less than 10 ingredients, including some buttermilk I had left from my homemade butter.
This waffle recipe is super basic, so you can add anything you like in the waffle mix, from Parma ham, bacon or cheddar cheese, to extra veggies such as zucchini and spinach.
How To Make Sweet Potato Waffles
Making these sweet potato waffles it's absolutely no-brainer.
All you need is two bowls and a waffle maker. The recipe all comes together in just 15 mins. Easy peasy and SO yummy.
You can use steamed sweet potatoes as I did, but these waffles are a great way to use any left-over mashed potatoes you have sitting in the fridge.
Start by combining the basic ingredients together in a large bowl.
Then fold in a mix of flour, baking soda and baking powder and your waffle batter is all ready.
If you use rice flour instead of all purpose flour, you'll get gluten-free waffles in a blink (but make sure your baking powder is gluten-free too).
Pour the batter into the waffle maker and wait until the magic happens.
Let the waffle gently bake until done, crispy and golden, then open the lid up and remove the waffle with a spatula.
Wait about 6-8 mins before checking the waffle so that it's crispy and almost ready, time will vary depending on the temperature of your waffle maker.
Serve these tasty sweet potato waffles with a drop or two of sour cream and chopped chives.
Or top with any of your favorite toppings, either way, these will make a showstopping treat to share with family and friends.
I hope you give these potato waffles a try! If you do, please leave a comment below or even better, take a picture, tag it #thepetitecook and share it on Instagram! Looking at your foodie snaps always makes me smile :)!
More Potato Recipes To Try:
Healthy Sweet Potato Waffles
- 60 ml buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 400 g mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp chopped spring onions
- 1 tsp basil leaves finely chopped
- 100 g parmesan cheese
- 120 g all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- sea salt and pepper
- baking oil spray for cooking
- 2 tbsp light sour cream
- 1 tbsp chive finely chopped
- Preheat the waffle maker and grease with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, whisk together buttermilk and eggs. Add in the mashed potatoes, spring onion, basil and cheese until well combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Gently fold the flour mixture into the potato mixture, season with salt and pepper and mix until well combined.
- Pour about ½ cup of the waffle batter (depending on the size of your waffle maker) into your waffle maker and spread into an even layer.
- Close the lid and bake the waffle until cooked through, crispy and golden brown, about 7-8 mins.
- Transfer the waffle to a serving plate then repeat the process with remaining batter.
- Serve your sweet potato waffles topped with sour cream and chopped chives or your favorite toppings.
If you opt for regular potatoes, the best ones to use are starchy Russets or Yukon Golds potatoes.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.