Looking for a scrumptious, but yet light, holiday breakfast treat? Look no further, ready in just 15 mins, these healthy sweet potato waffles are super versatile and can be served both for breakfast and dinner!
Whether you’re up for a delicious Thanksgiving morning breakfast or a fuss-free dinner starter, these sweet potato waffles are so easy to prepare, I can guarantee you’ll be making them all-winter-long.
These healthy sweet potato waffles are very basic, requiring less than 10 ingredients, including some buttermilk I had left from my homemade butter, a couple of free-range large eggs, a handful of fresh basil and chopped spring onions, and just enough parmesan cheese to bound all the goodness together. But don’t stop right here! Be creative and add anything you like in the waffle mix, from Parma ham, bacon or cheddar cheese, to extra awesomely healthy veggies such as zucchini and spinach.
[easy-tweet tweet=”Healthy Sweet potato Waffles – Made with less than 10 ingredients and ready in just 15 mins!” user=”PeiteCook” hashtags=”#vegetarian”]
Making these sweet potato waffles it’s absolutely no-brainer. All you need is two bowls and a waffle maker. The recipe all comes together in just 15 mins. Easy peasy and SO yummy.
You can use steamed sweet potatoes like I did, but these waffles are a great way to use any left-over mashed potatoes you have sitting in the fridge.
Start by combining the basic ingredients together in a large bowl. Then fold in a mix of flour, baking soda and baking powder and your waffle batter is all ready to cook. If you opt for rice flour, you can turn these waffles will turn totally gluten-free (but make sure your baking powder is gluten-free too).
Pour the batter into the waffle maker ( I use this one and does the job wonderfully) and wait until the magic happens. Let the waffle gently bake until done, crispy and golden, then open the lid up and remove the waffle with a spatula. Wait about 6-8 mins before checking the waffle so that it’s crispy and almost ready, time will vary depending on the temperature of your waffle maker.
Serve these tasty sweet potato waffles simple as they are with a drop or two of sour cream and chopped chives. Or top with any of your favorite condiments, either way these will make a showstopping treat to share with family and friends.
I hope you give these potato waffles a try! If you do, please leave a comment below and let me know how you liked it! Or even better, take a picture, tag it #thepetitecook and share it on Instagram! Looking at your foodie snaps always makes me smile :)!
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2½ cups / 400gr mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp chopped spring onions
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup /120gr all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- sea salt and pepper
- light extravirgin olive oil spray, for cooking
- Sour cream, for serving
- Preheat the waffle maker and grease with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, whisk together buttermilk and eggs. Add in the mashed potatoes, spring onion , basil and cheese until well combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Fold the flour mixture into the potato mixture, season with salt and pepper and mix until well combined.
- Pour about ½ cup of the potato batter (depending on the size of your waffle maker) into your waffle maker and spread into an even layer.
- Close the lid and bake the waffle until cooked through, crispy and golden brown, about 7-8 mins.
- Transfer the waffle to a serving plate then repeat the process with remaining batter.
- Serve sweet potato waffles topped with sour cream and chopped chives or your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
If you opt for regular potatoes, look for starcy Russets or Yukon Golds varieties.</span>