A fresh, vibrant vegetarian salad with summer Mediterranean flavors – This Barley Greek Salad is quick to make, great on its own and simply amazing with any grilled fish or meat!
Being Italian with Greek origins (you may have guessed by my surname), summertime is when I crave Mediterranean flavors the most. So I decided to create a salad earlier this week, and include some of my favorite Greek ingredients, combined with local English veggies.
For this light Barley Greek Salad I pulled out some heritage mini tomatoes, a cucumber, spring onions (you may use red onion too), feta cheese and lots of fresh herbs (I used basil and lemony thyme, but mint or oregano make also a vibrant addition). I skipped out on the olives, but feel free to throw in some Kalamata olives.
To add a bit of heartiness and make it well-balanced meal, I’ve also included barley, but couscous or quinoa work just as great! Barley is a fabulous grain to use, is one of the cheapest ingredients around and a nutrition powerhouse. Packed with tons of fiber, important vitamins and minerals, barley may also help lower cholesterol and blood pressure. So in a nutshell, eat more barley!
A refreshing zingy note is added by the easiest lemon & honey dressing on hearth. All you need is juicy organic lemons, a drop of good honey, some fruity high-quality extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Simply throw all ingredients into a jar and shake shake shake.
This simple Barley Greek Salad is loaded with summer flavors and health benefits. Super versatile, it’s perfect with any grilled or pan-seared entrees, or as a delicious meal on its own for a light lunch on-the-go. It also keeps super well in the fridge, I usually make a big batch that lasts about 3-4 days.
This easy peasy salad gives you endless menu combinations. For a balanced mediterranean-style menu you may pair it with lemon chicken skewers with yogurt dip:
And finish off with a spoon or two of blueberry ricotta cheesecake!
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how you liked it! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #thepetitecook! Looking at your pictures always makes me smile *and super hungry*!
- 1 cup/ 250gr pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 cucumber, peeled
- 5oz/ 150gr organic feta cheese
- 8.8oz /250gr heritage mini tomatoes (or cherry tomatoes)
- 3 spring onions
- a bunch of basil and thyme leaves
- sea salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp fruity extravirgin olive oil
- juice and zest of 1 unwaxed organic lemon
- 1 tsp good honey
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil the barley for about 15-20 mins in a pot of lightly salted water until tender, but still al dente.
- Transfer into a colander and cool under fresh running water, then drain well.
- While the barley cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients: chop the cucumber and feta into cubes, halve the tomatoes, slice the spring onions and mince the fresh herbs.
- For the honey & lemon dressing: simply put all the ingredients into a jar, close the lid and shake until well combined.
- Combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl and season with extra salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve on its own or with grilled mains, refrigerate in airtight container up to 4 days.